Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Was just messing around with my wolf this weekend. Put open sights on it and was getting ready to hit the range but I have a big problem. The hammer cocks all the way back, but when trigger is pulled it stops just short of the firing pin even when the break action is closed. Am I missing something obvious, or should I call CVA for help?

I got my package of Thor .501 300 grain bullets. I tried running them down the barrel. They'll go, but take some pushing. I assume that is ok and the barrel isn't going to burst, but since this is my first muzzleloader, I thought I'd confirm with you guys who have been using them.

Thanks!

Eric

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bailey View Post
    Was just messing around with my wolf this weekend. Put open sights on it and was getting ready to hit the range but I have a big problem. The hammer cocks all the way back, but when trigger is pulled it stops just short of the firing pin even when the break action is closed. Am I missing something obvious, or should I call CVA for help?

I got my package of Thor .501 300 grain bullets. I tried running them down the barrel. They'll go, but take some pushing. I assume that is ok and the barrel isn't going to burst, but since this is my first muzzleloader, I thought I'd confirm with you guys who have been using them.

Thanks!

Eric
    I'm going to default to the experts here, but from what I understood, the full bore bullets should take about the same amount of pressure to push down the barrel as do the sabots.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Bailey View Post

Thanks!

Eric
    Make sure the breech plug is seated all the way in.

If you can get the Thor down. It's fine. The 300gr fit a bit tighter than the 250gr which was the sample kit bullets. If it's too hard to load them. Give Terry at Thor a call, and he'll exchange them for some 300gr .500.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, I saw they were shorter and lighter than the sample bullets. Definitely seem to fit tighter too. That said, I am really impressed with the design. Like you said - excellent BC, solid construction for controlled expansion, and a thin ring on the back to make a good gas seal and engage the rifling. Glad you guys pointed me in that direction.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry, I meant the samples were shorter and lighter.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did screwing the BP down fix the hammer problem?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    OH, on your Wolf, did you ever have any issues with the trigger not wanting to go, when you pulled it? 2 or 3 times now, I've had to REALLY squeeze to get the gun to go off. 50 pound trigger pull is not the best for accurate shooting.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm at work (can't you tell?). I'll take another look when I get home, but I'm nearly certain it is screwed all the way down.

When I cleaned the barrel, there was some debris in it. I wonder if there is some in the trigger assembly as well.

Hoping to get it cleared up quickly as I can't wait to shoot it. I am a small guy and do a lot of backpacking, so I bought the compact model. It is amazing how light and quick handling the wolf is. Like a brush gun.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    All CVA guns need to have the trigger cleaned out. They come from the factory with gunk in them. You need a spray cleaner to flush them out, and then a light lube.

It should be a light, no creep 2-3lb trigger when everything is right, and adjusted.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you close the action and the hammer does not fully cock, only goes half way, thats an indication that the breech plug is not fully seated in the chamber and its setting off the safety built into the rifle,not allowing it to cock. If you do not have the breech plug tool to seat it down harder, wrap the breech plug in either a piece of leather or cardboard, use vise grips and snug that plug down tight and then back it off. It will form the face of the breech plug into the chamber and should fix that problem.

Sizing Thor bullets. The 300gr Version will fit tighter due to the longer bearing surface VS the shorter 250gr Thor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDmFUckyCUI

If you can load the 300gr in the size you ordered, its fine. When you struggle like i do in the field, thats not a good thing and much to tight. Hope the video helps.