Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh okay I see. Good idea to try them both. Mine I like to load easy but i noticed some of my traditions guns want the tighter fitting thors.

Make sure you give him my handle, gets you 10% off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Oh okay I see. Good idea to try them both. Mine I like to load easy but i noticed some of my traditions guns want the tighter fitting thors.

Make sure you give him my handle, gets you 10% off.
    Will do... thank you!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Giving my input to the original subject, I shot a bull moose and a cow elk last year with my TC 50cal Hawken using 100gr Triple 7 and 460gr No Excuses slugs. The No Excuses slugs are about the largest you can shoot here in CO with a 50 cal (length cannot exceed twice the diameter, and no pelletized powder or sabots, and iron sights only). The No Excuses slugs shot very well, although with that heavy of a slug and with a full powder load it packed a hefty kick (Triple 7 supposedly burns 20% hotter than black powder or Pyrodex, so I was told not to exceed 100gr). The bottom line is that I dropped my bull moose in his tracks with a 120 yard shot, and then a follow up shot at 20 feet, but BOTH slugs did not pass through. Two days later I shot a cow elk at about 50 yards, and dropped it in its tracks, but again the slug did not fully pass through. In the end I was glad that both animals dropped in their tracks, but I would have preferred a pass through shot to ensure that the lungs deflate and the animal will not go far. Here are pics of the No Excuses 460 gr slug I recovered from my moose.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moose slugs.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	6126

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion/CO View Post
    Giving my input to the original subject, I shot a bull moose and a cow elk last year with my TC 50cal Hawken using 100gr Triple 7 and 460gr No Excuses slugs. The No Excuses slugs are about the largest you can shoot here in CO with a 50 cal (length cannot exceed twice the diameter, and no pelletized powder or sabots, and iron sights only). The No Excuses slugs shot very well, although with that heavy of a slug and with a full powder load it packed a hefty kick (Triple 7 supposedly burns 20% hotter than black powder or Pyrodex, so I was told not to exceed 100gr). The bottom line is that I dropped my bull moose in his tracks with a 120 yard shot, and then a follow up shot at 20 feet, but BOTH slugs did not pass through. Two days later I shot a cow elk at about 50 yards, and dropped it in its tracks, but again the slug did not fully pass through. In the end I was glad that both animals dropped in their tracks, but I would have preferred a pass through shot to ensure that the lungs deflate and the animal will not go far. Here are pics of the No Excuses 460 gr slug I recovered from my moose.Click image for larger version. 

The length law on the bullet doesn't apply anymore in Colorado anymore. It hasn't for a couple of years.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion/CO View Post

Orion, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the good input. I like that bullet and use it in Oregon where only all lead conicals are legal. I may use it in Colorado as well when the time comes.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does anyone see a difference in the Tipped Thor bullets vs the Hollow points? Just wondering if it makes that much of a difference.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bette BC on the tipped thor but other than that, not much a difference.

Thor offered them for colorado hunters when we used to have that bullet length restriction crap that made no sense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FrontierMuzzleloading For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok another question for you if you don't mind. I just ordered 50 of the Tipped 300 gr bullets. Is the little attachment needed to push them in? I would think they would be fine without it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    as long as you have a loading jag that doesnt bite into the bullet tip and booger it up. I use a regular barnes loading jag since thors are basically a full bore diameter barnes.

Did you get the sample kit so you know which size you need?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    as long as you have a loading jag that doesnt bite into the bullet tip and booger it up. I use a regular barnes loading jag since thors are basically a full bore diameter barnes.

Did you get the sample kit so you know which size you need?

Yes sir I decided to go with the .501 I believe. The .500 went in easy and the .502 were a struggle. So decided to go with the .501.