Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

If you could live anywhere ...

Just curious, but if your job and other obligations were such that you could live anywhere in the lower 48, with regard to hunting opportunities, which state would it be and why?

I've pondered this question many times, but haven't had enough experiences in other states to say.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Colorado. Good OTC tags for lots of archery hunting, plus close proximity to other great hunting states. I've heard the fishing is good, too.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If money was no issue or work i would live in ruby valley at the base of the ruby mountains. Favorite place in the world but i am a little too social to live that far from friends and family. So some property up there will do for now

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonArrow View Post
    Colorado. Good OTC tags for lots of archery hunting, plus close proximity to other great hunting states. I've heard the fishing is good, too.
    What he said.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    McLeod MT. My favorite place!
    Last edited by Grantbvfd; 03-17-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My parents moved me to Colorado when I was 5, they were both from the east coast, so I could have been much worse off. Colorado has it all even if you don't hunt. I love this state, but so do a lot of liberals and they are screwing it up! It is also an expensive place to live. When I retire, I may have to move to get away from the left and not spend my money faster than I want to. That being said, I have always liked Dayton, WY. Not as windy as the rest of the state and it is at the foot of the bighorns and minutes from Sheridan and a good Hospital and 2 hours from Billings and enough of a big city feel for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think Utah or CO, California is not a bad place to live, but super expensive, and the hunting in my mind great for small game and waterfowl, but marginal for Big game. That is why after October my mind switches to Waterfowl. Its all Big Game from Aug to Oct. Allot of liberals here in CA too, that is why there is so many Mountain Lions in this state = Bad!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was born & raised in California, am actually a 4th generation Californio. But things really got out of hand in the 70's...too many people! My wife and I both knew we wanted out when I retired. Spent 20 years looking in all the western states for our retirement home. Came down to Stevensville, Mt where my Grandfather was born, Lander, Wyoming and here where we live in SW Colorado. The way the politics have gone in the last couple of years, almost wished we would have picked Lander. If I had it to do over, probably would.

We never considered anywhere east of the Rockies. Still love it here, but too much Denver politics are being felt here.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 03-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    idaho!!! i used to live in hamilton montana and ill return there to reside one of these day. so pretty those bitterroots are.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I've thought about this a number of times. For the lower 48 these are my two best ideas so far:

Wyoming: From a tag standpoint, Wyoming would be hard to beat. You can antelope hunt nearly every year. Elk tags in good units are relatively easy to draw as a resident and if you don't draw you can hunt the general season. The same thing for deer, and a couple of the general regions are pretty descent deer hunting letting you hunt every year. You could trophy hunt those tags then get some antlerless tags to fill the freezer. If a guy can afford some land, I believe landowner tags are available. I understand Wyoming has no personal and no corporate income tax.

Arizona: From a location standpoint I think Northern Arizona around Flagstaff would be hard to beat. You can hit a lot of great hunting country in a one day drive (SW Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, Western Colorado). Very good late rifle elk hunts or good archery elk hunts can be drawn every 4-5 years. OTC archery deer is available. Good landowner tags are available in NM and CO. For fishing, Lake Powell is only a couple hours away and is amazing for stripers, bass and crappie. A guy could keep his freezer chock full of fish. In the winter, the desert is only a couple hours south.

Now if all 50 states could be considered, and you were flexible, I think residency in Alaska, living there in the summer and fall then heading south for the winter would be hard to beat. Salmon and halibut fish in the summer. In the fall hunt sheep, moose, grizzly, black bear, goat, Sitka deer...etc...without a guide or outfitter. Alaska I understand has no personal income tax, no sales tax, and an annual dividend kickback to residents.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)