Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scouting deer

Thanks

scouting deer

I am in a quandry and need some help. I am looking to draw a unit 54 Colorado deer tag some day. have 6 points now as a NR. Need to get to know the areas. Since deer season runs concurrent with elk season should I try to get an elk license and hunt the same time of year as I would like to hunt deer or should I go during the off season so I won"t be distracted by hunting and just get to know the area? I do have some time that I could go during the summer? Just curious as to everyone thoughts. I am mostly a gun hunter but have killed many whitetails and a few mulies with the bow but not in this area.

Thanks
    The more you can get out and learn the area, the better your chances will be in being successful. If you can get there during the summer, I would.

Thanks
    I agree. If you can get out there during the summer you should. The way I see it is you get 2 benefits from it: 1)Since you've never hunted the area before you get to learn the area. 2) you learn how your body will acclimate to the high elevation. This way you can plan your hunt according to how much time you need to get used to the elevation. As for getting an elk tag, it doesn't hurt to have one in your pocket. But if I was going to use my points I would concentrate on trying to harvest the deer first.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bern0134 View Post
    I agree. If you can get out there during the summer you should. The way I see it is you get 2 benefits from it: 1)Since you've never hunted the area before you get to learn the area. 2) you learn how your body will acclimate to the high elevation. This way you can plan your hunt according to how much time you need to get used to the elevation. As for getting an elk tag, it doesn't hurt to have one in your pocket. But if I was going to use my points I would concentrate on trying to harvest the deer first.
    X2 concentrate on one.

Thanks
    While I did not intend to hunt both species at the same time, I agree. To clarify my question, if I could only go once and could draw and elk tag would it be more beneficial to be in the area at the same time of year as I would during my projected deer hunt or go during the summer. I realize the benefits of being in the area multiple times. Not knowing the movements of deer in the area at this time of year, I thought a trip during elk season might provide that information. Hunting elk would be just a side benefit to be there at the proper time frame. Thanks for your insight.

Thanks
    I would go whenever you get the opportunity. Things will likely change from summer scouting, but if you can find some of the resident deer holed up in the lower elevations and find them still there in the Fall, then you have something to work with. I've found some bucks in late July-early August down low just off winter range and have gone back in Oct & Nov and had those same bachelor groups still within a half mile of where I found them in the summer (one buck that got shot in 2010 3rd was actually in the same bed he was found in during summer)

Thanks
    You might want to try and get a cow tag to go along with the deer tag, pretty easy to get in most areas and a good freezer filler. Most of the areas you will be hunting have both deer and elk in pretty much the same area.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    CC
    Your comment about elk and deer in same area is most helpful.
    Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I'll put in for a cow tag this year and check it out in the summer as packmule suggests if I don't get drawn.

Thanks
    I thought 54 was OTC on the seasons that coincided with rifle MD seasons? I could be wrong, but I thought they switched 2nd season over to limited OTC cow tags.

Thanks
    54 is OTC with caps for either sex in 2nd season. I didn't really want to hunt 2nd but maybe you are trying to tell me that 2nd is a better choice for deer??? Better rethink this so more.