Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Wait a minute Eberle, your'e movin' up here aren't ya? We need some extra rednecks and you'll love the hunting and fishing!! No income tax, we give ya a oil dividend. you can take 2 grizzlies per year in some areas, 5 black bears (10 if you work it right) and no closed season or bag limit on caribou in some places! Not a feral hog to be seen!
    Bring your 7mag and we'll find a nice bull moose too!
    I'm not sure I'm tuff enough to handle the winter! Everything else sounds good though. When I worked for ConocoPhilips I seroiusly considered going to work on the North Slope.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I Really Appreciate All the Advise and Locations ... Alot if not All of these Post where Very Thought Out and Means Alot to me Thank You To All... It is going to be awhile before I can Retire also. Just triing to do some early research... And YES with Some of the New and Future New Gun Laws. I want to leave my Options open. I live here In Upstate NY and we just got Wake with some really Crazy Laws..... I was Born and raised in the sticks. If we weren't in the Woods. We where on the Water Fishing.... I just love the outdoors always wished I could of made a living at it. But there was never any insurance packages or retirement. Thank's Again To Everyone....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssliger View Post
    I see no reason to ever leave Wyoming, sure it's windy, and our winters can be harsh. But that keeps most people away and a low population and wide open spaces are priceless. You can always winter down south.
    I would rather deal with Wyoming winters than Colorado Liberals. Dayton, Wy next to the Bighorns and out of the wind!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 1 Post
    We'd be happy to have you in Texas as long as you don't come here and start voting for the same kinds of politicians that create the mess that you're looking to get away from in NY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Y.ArcheryMadMan View Post
    I Really Appreciate All the Advise and Locations ... Alot if not All of these Post where Very Thought Out and Means Alot to me Thank You To All... It is going to be awhile before I can Retire also. Just triing to do some early research... And YES with Some of the New and Future New Gun Laws. I want to leave my Options open. I live here In Upstate NY and we just got Wake with some really Crazy Laws..... I was Born and raised in the sticks. If we weren't in the Woods. We where on the Water Fishing.... I just love the outdoors always wished I could of made a living at it. But there was never any insurance packages or retirement. Thank's Again To Everyone....
    One piece of advice I have is start looking as soon as possible. My wife and I spent 20 years looking while I was working. We visited 13 states on vacations, all the time looking for potential retirement areas. Sure prices change, areas grow and economies expand, but we looked for the enviornment first. Weather, scenery, hunting fishing and other recreation were tops on our list. Hope you find what you are looking for, good luck.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane13 View Post
    We'd be happy to have you in Texas as long as you don't come here and start voting for the same kinds of politicians that create the mess that you're looking to get away from in NY.
    Yessir!

Where I call home is around the Lufkin/Nacogdoches area. The cost of living is low, land is reasonably priced and thank goodness for timber & ag exemptions on property. From Lufkin you're within an hour (20m from 1) of 2 of the largest lakes in the state and 1:45 from fishing saltwater. The hunting isn't too bad, plenty of deer & a nonstop battle with hogs. Most of it is done on private land, but finding a decent lease to hunt with an MLD season running from Oct-Feb isn't a hard find. You get to shoot off permits instead of your tags and go use your tags elsewhere. If not wanting a lease and want to only hunt public land, there's a total of about 735,000 acres of heavily wooded national forest within a short drive. The area is also super conservative and pretty much a Bible Belt. I'll admit the weather is iffy because of the humidity, the summers feel like you're in a pressure cooker and the winters are usually mild.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Forbes recently ranked the top 10 states to retire in based on cost of living and tax relief. The top three were Alaska, Nevada, and Wyoming. All three are retirement friendly and offer exceptional outdoor recreation for the hunter and fishermen.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    One piece of advice I have is start looking as soon as possible.
    Sound wisdom, CC. I started a If You Could Live Anywhere thread in the General Hunting section with this kind of in mind. Interesting stuff.

They say great minds think alike, NYAMM! We're both thinking about retirement, not sure what that says about us.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    This country is going to hades in a basket. The parts that used to be ok, are now crap and the good parts are at risk of becoming bad.

I am six months from retiring from the military and am scared to death, we want to move to back to Alaska, back to Montana or back to Wyoming.

The problem with retiring some place like Utah or Arizona where life is based on preference points is that you may never get to hunt, unless you buy land owner tags, or have a Texas deer lease.

As much as a lot of Texans rub me the wrong way, landowners get to manage wildlife the way they see fit. And that's a pretty nice option if you have the means to aquire 100 acres or more.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Does anyone have any insight on maybe Kentucky, West Virginia, or Missouri? As Retirement States...