Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

My 30-06...What a pleasant surprise!

I was at the range yesterday testing some new loads for my 30-06. It really shot unbelievable! 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Not too bad for a 85 years old rifle!

It is an 03 Springfield that my Grandfather got thru the NRA in 1950 for $10.00 (if I remember what he told me when he gave it to me). It has been "sporterized" like everyone did in the 50"s. New stock, Timney trigger, bolt altered, polished & blued and drilled & tapped for scope mounts. I have a Leupold VXIII 3 1/2 x 10 on it now. Started out way back with a Weaver K3. Still has the original military barrel.

I shot it for years until I bought a new Ruger M77 in 1977 in 25-06. Kind of retired it then. I used to use the old surplus 4895 for my reloads. Can't get that anymore, and the new IMR 4895 is hotter, so I started working up a new deer load for use this fall. The load that shoots best is 52.5 grs IMR 4895, 150 gr Sierra Game King BT. It chronographs at an average of 3054 fps (10 shot average). This rifle always shot best with hotter loads, still does.

Not bad for an old timer!!! Now all I have to do is get a buck to stand still long enough for me to whack him. One more thing, sent the scope to Leupold for a custom ballistic turret made for my load.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That sounds awesome CC. I like everything about it. You can elk hunt with that if you wanted to. This may be the most practical hunting gun on the forum. I have to ask about the weight and felt recoil. I know you are use to more recoil with your 300, but for us old guys i would think it is less than a 7mm. I think you have it scoped just right. Congratulations on putting your 06 back to work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just weighed it....#7.7, empty and no sling. I have never been recoil shy so it doesn't really bother me. It doesn't seem too bad, about the same as my .300 with a mz. brake. Great gun and still shooting great.

About 10 years ago I was really struggling with it, just wouldn't group very well. I thought the barrel had finally given up. Really took a good look at the bore and decided it had too much crap in it. Got some good bore cleaner and started scrubbing. After it seemed like forever, started getting clean patches. Took it to the range and viola!!! great groups again. Just goes to show you, you are not as old as you think!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like it is holding up quite well for a 85 year old rifle, 50's "sporterized" and all. One day, I'd like to sporterize my late 70's 30-06. It is cool you were able to figure out it just needed a good cleaning and get that new load to help dial it in. The gun has some awesome history in your family. I hope you will be able to find that buck in the coming year. It would make for a fitting remembrance and also adds just one more memory to the heritage and history of the rifle for you. Sounds like you have it just about ready and I hope you have a successful hunt with it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've met very few rifles that I didn't like. The older ones always seem to tug at my heart the most. So few shooters realize how much copper can build up in your bore so quickly, there's other crud too but copper is usually the culprit when things go bad. It's kinda nice to have a buddy with a bore scope too but they're kinda on the pricey side...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have switched to a 300 win mag BUT my .06 is my favorite rifle and will always be. My grandfather, dad, and myself all own 30.06 Remington rifles and they are awesome. Cool deal CC.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I should be getting the scope back from Leupold next week, with the Ballistic turret for it. After I get the scope back on, I'll post a picture of it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    That's fantastic, CC. Congrats. You just can't beat that - a classic firearm, a treasured family heirloom and a shooter to boot!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dad had the same rifle, he shoots an elk with it every year. They don't necessarily kick. It's more of a push. The ruger 30-06 I had knocked the snot out of me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by kcaves View Post
    My dad had the same rifle, he shoots an elk with it every year. They don't necessarily kick. It's more of a push. The ruger 30-06 I had knocked the snot out of me.
    I used to make stocks and did a lot of stock work and most of the rifles that people say really kick the snot out of them are because the stock doesn't fit the shooter. There are lots of things that can be done that will help. Changing the angle of the recoil pad to stock is the first one. I used to make shims that would do this and we kept trying different angles until it was more comfortable. When a better angle was found, i removed the shim and recut the stock. Most custom stock makers use a "try" stock that is adjustable to get proper fit.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley