Thanks

Loved my Montana hunt.

My son and I were invited to hunt some private land in Carter County this past year. The Box Elder Creek ran through this property. We saw more whitetail deer in one day there than we will see in a season in NE Mississippi. We both killed good bucks while there. The people in Ekalaka were very hospitable. It was a 1,438 mile drive and we'll worth it. We had never seen that part of the country. The land owner told us deer #'s were down well over 50%. I can't imagine there being twice as many deer as we saw. Thanks to the people and state of Montana and our host for a great experience. Some of you may be able to answer this question for me. If there are so many deer that Blue Tongue and/or EHD is affecting the herd adversely, why are the bag limits so restrictive? Not being negative, just wondering.

Thanks
    Glad you guts had a good hunt! I been through there before. Its neat country!

Thanks
    I don't have vast knowledge of the southern states but from what I gather "most" of them are fairly liberal in regards to the number of deer one can harvest. My guess is that due to the thick vegetation and high amount of private land it is harder to keep the deer numbers in check.

Most of the northern states are far more restrictive in the number of deer we are allowed to harvest, especially bucks. The states are conservative for a couple of reasons, they want to keep their deer numbers up because severe winters, drought, disease and predators can take a large toll on the animals from year to year. Also with a higher percentage of public land it is easier for state agencies to effectively manage the populations. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Congrats.. post some pics... would love to see them.