Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Hunting SE Montana this fall.

My son has a friend who owns some property in the Ekalaka area and has invited us to hunt this fall. We have applied for our license and are very hopeful. We will be coming the first or second week in November. Would like to ask which week is usually better as far as the Whitetail rut goes? Also any information about the area or advice. We are not trophy hunters but just enjoy the outdoors. This will be our first out of state trip and are looking forward to it. We are from Mississippi. I am 55 and my son is 32. My son's friend has a place to stay so we will only be out fuel, license fee and food. Truly looking forward to seeing Big Sky Country and making new friends. Any response appreciated.

Thanks
    I think you will genuinely have a great time. For the rut, later is better.

As I side note, don't count out a real trophy. The biggest live whitetail I have ever seen was in a timbered draw outside Ekalaka. I watched it bound safely away while I was holding my Remington 870, as I was hunting turkeys at the time.

Good luck!

Thanks
    I agree with bitterroot bulls, later is better. I know the area well. With the way the moon phase is this year the week of thanksgiving is going to be the best. If that doesn't work for you, out of the first two weeks of November I would take the first week. Don't limit yourself to your friends property there is a lot of block management around.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies Bitterroot Bulls and Hoot. We would not rule out taking a nice Mule Deer. Hoot you and Bitterroot Bulls both said later was better but you said if you had to choose between the first and second week in November, you would choose the first week. Did I miss something or are you looking at moon phase? Again thanks for the input.

Thanks
    when I said the first week , I ment the first full week. I think that would be the third to the sixth The second full week you would be leading up to the full moon peaking on Thursday. Don't get me wrong I don't live by the moon!! But I do know from spending countless hours in a eastern deer stands during full moon their is less deer activity. Again I have one week a year out there and I will be there the week of thanksgiving We will be coming off that full moon and i know those mulies we be ruttin hard. When your time is limited stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

Thanks
    Im from that area and the rut doesnt really start kicking in till the second and third weekend of november.

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses Hoot and laker. We are still trying to determine which week we are coming.

Thanks
    As a side note I would have some good wind blocking clothing. I just got done with a six week stint in Baker MT for work and the wind can be miserable at times, well most the time actually.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. It will be an adjustment from MS to MT. I think the coldest night we had all winter was 24*. In high hopes of being drawn. If we are we will need all the advice we can get.

Thanks
    I hunted Ekalaka last fall we got there election day and hunted 6 days. Rut was just barely starting if i go back again this fall we will go a few weeks later. When we got there it was in the 50s and by the last day it was in the teens below wind chill and ambient temp was right around 0 with lots of snow.

We saw lots of deer and some real nice whitetails on the Custer State forest land and so try there as well we didnt see anybody up in the national forest land when we were there. Bring your shot gun if you tag out early there is some great upland bird shooting out on the BLM and Block management land or turkey hunt in the forest with shotgun or rifle i beleive is legal on turkeys in the fall also.

Good luck