Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Vortex Viper HD vs. Razor HD

I need to upgrade my spotting scope.

I would love to go with the Razor HD 20-60x85 but my budget won't handle it this year, so I was thinking of going with the Viper HD in 20-60x80. I could always sell the Viper HD on the forum next year and buy the Razor if I want to move up.

Two things I've heard:

1. The main difference is that the Razor is much easier on the eyes than the Viper and I will regret buying the Viper HD if I do much glassing.

2. Someone in their 50s like me probably won't be able to tell much difference between the two scopes in clarity and light transmission.

What do you think of the Viper HD spotter in 20-60x80?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just bought one a few months ago and I love it. It is not a Swarovski or Zeiss, but it works for what I use it for. When I zoom in all the way it has a hard time getting a sharp focus. If you can I would go somewhere you could look through both and see what looks better to you. Good luck in your search.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTTIN View Post
    I just bought one a few months ago and I love it. It is not a Swarovski or Zeiss, but it works for what I use it for. When I zoom in all the way it has a hard time getting a sharp focus. If you can I would go somewhere you could look through both and see what looks better to you. Good luck in your search.
    hoshour, RUTTIN is on to a key point about spotting scope, which is, as you pay more money you are getting a better picture on high magnifications. 30-40 magnification is a range people usually stay in when glassing and part of tht has to do with the fact that the picture isn't as good at higher magnification. Even though you will have a good picture with the Viper in that range it will still be better with the Razor and the Razor will be far better at higher magnifications.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, I finally ordered a 16-48x65 Razor HD. Not used to buying things expensive enough to have a comma in the price but decided to go for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good decision to go for Vortex 16-48x65 Razor HD. It is really an expensive one. I mostly like it's some optical features like XR lens coating. I purchased the Vortex viper 6-24x50 for my shooting and was a great deal with the Eurooptic online dealer with very good reasonable rate.