Thread: 033 Antelope

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

033 Antelope

Was just wondering if anyone out there has hunted 033 for Antelope in the last few years? I have always wanted to hunt speed goats there but had heard its not what it once was. Would love to hear from anyone that has hunted it lately and get some feed back. Want to use my points wisely. Thanks for the help

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Sheldon has some big goats. Just have to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Sheldon has some big goats. Just have to find them.

033 doesn't have goats. I believe they are only found in the rubies

As far as Antelope goes, 033 incorporates Sheldon antelope refuge the name says it all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    033 doesn't have goats. I believe they are only found in the rubies

As far as Antelope goes, 033 incorporates Sheldon antelope refuge the name says it all.
    Yep, that's always my first choice and 041,042 second. But almost any until you can find a 80+" goat. Just hard to kill them lol.

2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

5. The Following User Says Thank You to velvetfvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 6 Posts
    I hunted the Sheldon for antelope in 1991, deer in 1995 and antelope again in 2010.

On my hunt in 2010, I was on the ground for 9 days and hunted my rear off. I left gave it everything I had. The first morning at 2 am I hiked a couple miles into one of the hot spots in the dark and sat until sunrise. and watched a pile of antelope file by me.

I left the afternoon of the last day. The last day I hunted I hiked 4 miles in the dark to a spring to sit it all day. I could have killed a 16" thin horned buck but I let him walk. The best antelope I saw on that entire hunt may have gone 80". I got photos of him and had a guy who truly knows how to score antelope look at him and he said it was maybe 80". I could have shot numerous bucks but my goal was a solid book buck or nothing. When I left that hunt, my boot were literally falling apart from numerous miles on volcanic type material. I chucked them after the hunt.

In the place I was camping was another guy. He had killed a 90" antelope in Arizona a few years before. He hunted his tail off and on the next to the last day shot a fair 15" buck. The third guy in the place I was camping hunted to the end of the season. When I left the last day he had not tagged out either.

I love the place, and am applying there because I know the unit well, but it certainly is not full of book bucks. I believe they are there but you will have to work for them. I've hunted antelope about a dozen times, and it is probably the toughest place I have ever antelope hunted.

If you'd be happy with a 14-15" buck in the mid 70's that would not be a problem. There are big bucks, but you will likely need to have that buck pre scouted, or work hard for it.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 03-26-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    It's a great area for pronghorn. Lots there and plenty of water to hunt on if your bow hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am originally from Eastern Oregon so we go through that way when we head back to see family. I know the shit?ters and burros have taken there tole on the wild game in that country. Had a friend sheep hunt that country a few years back and he said all he saw was rattlesnakes and horses so it kind of threw up a red flag. We had such a crusted snow miserable winter over here I was concerned with the horn growth we would have in the NE part of the state units. I like that they moved the 041, 042 late season to the end of Sept, good time of year to hunt plus its nice to get some of those big boys out of there hidey holes. Gotta love the "stress" of application season, although its almost as fun as the hunt. Thanks again and if anyone else has anything let me know.