Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Guys I need your input!!!!!!!

Ok here is my dilemma, football for next year starts April 15th. I am a avid bowhunter and haven't killed a animal yet. And my grandpa had cancer again for the third time and who knows how long he will have left. I want him to see me kill my first deer/pronghorn with a bow. So my dilemma is if I do football, hunting is cut down alot but won't know what I draw until June. I want to try and play football but its one week football, next no football. So I need your guys input. All of it is appreciated. I just can't figure out what to do!

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    Also I have 3 ap classes next year so time is kinda strapped.

Thanks
    South Dakota has some good early Pronghorn seasons, but I think they start about the time your "two-a-days" will start. Long drive from NV, but all the archery tags for pronghorn or deer are OTC. Under 300 for a tag. Long way from NV though. Our deer doesn't start until late Sept. but runs solid through December.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Yeah. I will tell coach but its so hard. And to make it worse school starts August 14th or something and deer and antelope start the 1st and 10th. But we have summer practice.

Thanks
    You will have the rest of your life to hunt, HS football isn't around very long. I think Gramps would enjoy seeing you play in a bunch of games just as much as he would love to see you harvest your first archery animal. And who knows... apply close to home, and more then likely you can do both. Playing football and hunting were my life from 4th grade until my senior year in HS, and I decided not to play in college in order to hunt more. I regret that decision as I know I could still play. Not to mention, playing football really helps your dedication to hunting. Learning how to train, be motivated, face adversity, and deal with physicality are all things that you will keep with you long after you stop playing. I remember showing up to practice right after packing a buck out one time, I had blood all over the back of my shirt from the pack out and by the end of practice it had mixed with my sweat under the pads and there was blood all the way down into my socks! You can have the best of both worlds, it's all about time management and dedication.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Very well said BSA.

I would assume grand is not able to get around much. So he won't be with you when you take your animal. Although maybe with a Pronghorn if it was close to a road where he could watch with a scope or binos in the AC of the pick up. I would have to agree. He is proud of you now for your accomplishments and would love to continue to watch you play ball. I've been in this very predicament. I was elk hunting in 06 when my uncle that was very close to me and was in the hospital when I left and he told me to go hunt and he passed 2 days into my hunt. My family told me to stay and hunt because that's what he would have wanted. From that day on I have used that as motivation and I always think of him while hunting. I think grand would want you to do what makes you happy.
    I say put in for the hunts you want. Play football. Spend as much time as you can with him. It will play out the way it is ment to. Why give any of it up? Do it all you can make it happen. You also have plenty of friends that will help you hunt if your time is limited.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Very well said BSA.

I would assume grand is not able to get around much. So he won't be with you when you take your animal. Although maybe with a Pronghorn if it was close to a road where he could watch with a scope or binos in the AC of the pick up. I would have to agree. He is proud of you now for your accomplishments and would love to continue to watch you play ball. I've been in this very predicament. I was elk hunting in 06 when my uncle that was very close to me and was in the hospital when I left and he told me to go hunt and he passed 2 days into my hunt. My family told me to stay and hunt because that's what he would have wanted. From that day on I have used that as motivation and I always think of him while hunting. I think grand would want you to do what makes you happy.
    I say put in for the hunts you want. Play football. Spend as much time as you can with him. It will play out the way it is ment to. Why give any of it up? Do it all you can make it happen. You also have plenty of friends that will help you hunt if your time is limited.
    Yeah. I think I could get a antelope. Just so hard. He goes with us deer hunting since we have a ranger that can get him within a certain distance to watch through the scope. Man this is tough.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would think antelope would be much easier then deer for him to watch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I would think antelope would be much easier then deer for him to watch.
    Yeah. Guess this would be the one year I couldn't hold out for a big buck.

Thanks
    I will give you same advice I did last time you asked this question. Do what your heart is telling you to do.

I was in same boat as you in high school, I chose hunting. I couldn't give both 100% and I don't like doing things that way. I do not regret it one bit but that's ME! Everyone is different. I never wonder what if... If you think you might ask yourself that question then you need to follow your gut and have no regrets whatever path you choose to follow.

Don't worry, if you do choose football we will rub it in your face with successful photos this fall