Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What did you end up deciding last year?

I know football was really important to me and I'm going to reiterate what BSA said. You only get one shot to play football in your life, but you can hunt forever. I guess it depends on how much you like playing and what football means to you.

Just a little personal experience, I played all through high school and even played five years of college football and I still had time to hunt. Not as much time as I would have liked (ie I couldn't do many backcountry, extended trips), but I still hunted hard with the time I had and still shot plenty of animals. In high school it was a little different since rifle season tended to take place mostly after the football season but I still made it out archery hunting too. One day I made it out after practice and was full draw on mule deer buck before dusk. I never shot because I didn't feel comfortable with the shot but I still made it out. Your games will be on Friday nights and you'll have the whole weekend to hunt right? College was quite a bit harder to make time but we always had Sunday mornings and Mondays off. I always made sure to schedule my classes so I had Monday afternoons off in the fall so I could at least get an afternoon hunt in every Monday. I started focusing the tags I put in for around opportunity for high success (antelope units with high numbers for example). One time after an away game, our plane got in past two in the morning, took a quick nap, drove several hours to the hunting area just past sunrise, glassed over a few herds of antelope, made a stalk, shot my first antelope and was back in town by noon, just in time of Sunday workout and film. It wasn't a monster by any means, but I shot nice buck in the midst of a busy schedule. I did stunts like this a lot through college. I didn't have a lot of time, but I still made time. I guess my point is that if you really want to do both, it is definitely taxing, but you can do it. And if you can't do both, you're gonna have to consider how important playing ball is to you. I missed a lot of hunting opportunities because of football, but I really wanted to do both.

Another thing to consider is to apply for later season hunts or switch weapons for a year.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't know about yall but every sport comes second to hunting for me. I am an avid basketball player and I played varsity ball in freshmen and sophmore year but as I progressed and moved up the ranks I had to give it more time and it definately cut down my hunting time. So I decided to stop basketball and just hunt. I now lift run and shoot everyday and am in better shape then I ever was while playing basketball. Hunting is a part of who I am and I would much rather be high on a mountain ridge then be down in the city on a court. Its your decision though so just go with your gut.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUcat61 View Post
    What did you end up deciding last year?

I know football was really important to me and I'm going to reiterate what BSA said. You only get one shot to play football in your life, but you can hunt forever. I guess it depends on how much you like playing and what football means to you.

Just a little personal experience, I played all through high school and even played five years of college football and I still had time to hunt. Not as much time as I would have liked (ie I couldn't do many backcountry, extended trips), but I still hunted hard with the time I had and still shot plenty of animals. In high school it was a little different since rifle season tended to take place mostly after the football season but I still made it out archery hunting too. One day I made it out after practice and was full draw on mule deer buck before dusk. I never shot because I didn't feel comfortable with the shot but I still made it out. Your games will be on Friday nights and you'll have the whole weekend to hunt right? College was quite a bit harder to make time but we always had Sunday mornings and Mondays off. I always made sure to schedule my classes so I had Monday afternoons off in the fall so I could at least get an afternoon hunt in every Monday. I started focusing the tags I put in for around opportunity for high success (antelope units with high numbers for example). One time after an away game, our plane got in past two in the morning, took a quick nap, drove several hours to the hunting area just past sunrise, glassed over a few herds of antelope, made a stalk, shot my first antelope and was back in town by noon, just in time of Sunday workout and film. It wasn't a monster by any means, but I shot nice buck in the midst of a busy schedule. I did stunts like this a lot through college. I didn't have a lot of time, but I still made time. I guess my point is that if you really want to do both, it is definitely taxing, but you can do it. And if you can't do both, you're gonna have to consider how important playing ball is to you. I missed a lot of hunting opportunities because of football, but I really wanted to do both.

Another thing to consider is to apply for later season hunts or switch weapons for a year.
    I asked this last fall after I couldn't play. But the issue is now of my grandpas health. Honestly I know I can get one down but its hard trying to teach a rifle hunting family archery. I think I can do both, but then its going to result in a semi solo hunt and I don't know if my parents would let me.

And about switching, I shot my only buck with a rifle:

And hated the feeling of shooting with a rifle. I just kinda felt like I cheated and being a straight A model student, I don't like to cheat. So I have committed only to archery. Even the stalks I have been on for my heart pumping more.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    Last edited by velvetfvr; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you don't play ball, you'll miss playing ball when you get older. If you don't hunt, you'll wonder about all hunts you missed out on when you were playing sports.

For me, it was a no brainer.. I never even wanted to play little league sports, because it got in the way with hunting, and got in the way of the quality time I got to spend with my dad and grandpa. That being said, my brother wrestled all through school, and that was quality time that my dad and grandpa got to spend with him as well. I guess what I'm saying doesn't really help you out, other than the fact that as long as you are doing what you love to do, gramps is gonna love it for you, and is gonna take pride in watching you do it.

But, if it were me? I'd hunt. Screw a buncha organized sports!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Velvet,

You have the rest of your life to hunt! I know time seems like it stands still at your age. I'm having my 20 year class reunion this year & it has went quick. I find myself sitting in the stands watching my children play & loving every minute of it. I still wish I could go back & play again. But we hunt & fish as a family & make time to do it. You can balance two schedules & make it work. Just don't have any regrets whatever you decide to do. I'll extend an offer for you, standing invite. Archery season opens here in Oklahoma October 1st & closes Jan. 15th. Pick a date & come out, I'll put you on a whitetail on my land. If my buddy Mike (with Full Draw Adventures) is not on the road filming. I'll have him film your first archery whitetail kill on video. Edit, produce & send it home with you to show Grandpa.

Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    Velvet,

You have the rest of your life to hunt! I know time seems like it stands still at your age. I'm having my 20 year class reunion this year & it has went quick. I find myself sitting in the stands watching my children play & loving every minute of it. I still wish I could go back & play again. But we hunt & fish as a family & make time to do it. You can balance two schedules & make it work. Just don't have any regrets whatever you decide to do. I'll extend an offer for you, standing invite. Archery season opens here in Oklahoma October 1st & closes Jan. 15th. Pick a date & come out, I'll put you on a whitetail on my land. If my buddy Mike (with Full Draw Adventures) is not on the road filming. I'll have him film your first archery whitetail kill on video. Edit, produce & send it home with you to show Grandpa.

Good luck!
    Wow VF you need to do this! It takes a real hunter to offer you a chance of a lifetime like Eberle has just done.
    Cudos to you Eberle to make such a generous offer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Velvet,

Good luck!
    Thanks and I would love to come. Unfortunately, I don't think I can do this. I don't think my parents would let me go on this fantastic opportunity and then with school I am bunched up. I have 1 week in October off but I don't think I can accept. I would love too but I don't think it's something I can do. I will send a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Velvet,

Good luck!
    Awesomeness continues to abound on this forum... very cool.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks, He seems like a good kid!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IKC,

Thanks, I try to help out the kids when I can! They are our future!

Velvet,

Your welcome, you have an open invite should you change your mind.

P.S. Your parents are invited also!
    Last edited by Eberle; 03-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.