Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Baiting Black Bear

I'm not sure how many of you bait, but I figured I would make this for those of us that do and those that are interested in it. This is to discuss all things hunting black bear over bait; not a debate over ethics.

What have you been successful with and how? What distance from the bait do you hunt from? Do you use trail cams? The list can go on and on. Hopefully, more will chime in and this can be a helpful thread. Also, it would be fun to see pics of everyone's set ups. It is always interesting to see how others go about things.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm planning on hunting black bear in WY this year, I want to give spot and stalk a try but am not at all opposed to baiting. I know you have to register bait sites with G&F, does anyone know how late in the year you can register a site, is it too late for this year? Hopefully I can get some tips on here what works for bait etc. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Save your bacon grease, put it to simmer in a pan on your pack stove, sit back and enjoy the evening till ya get one!
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by elktracker View Post
    I'm planning on hunting black bear in WY this year, I want to give spot and stalk a try but am not at all opposed to baiting. I know you have to register bait sites with G&F, does anyone know how late in the year you can register a site, is it too late for this year? Hopefully I can get some tips on here what works for bait etc. Thanks.
    You can register bait sites from the previous calendar year by phone from March 1 through March 20. If your looking to register a new site the registration was on the April 1. If it's something your looking to do,go into the G&F office and look at the map with all of the registered bait sites on it. You can register 2 sites per year per hunter...hope this helps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've got one site the bears seem to hit all day long, 2am,11am,5pm it doesn't matter, It's a real crazy deal. I have a hard time getting into my stand on that one. Last day of the season last year I had a blonde bear come in and climb half way up my ladder to check me out before he ran back into the deep brush. On that site i've got my stand set 23 yards from my container. I do have a Cuddeback set 8 yards from my container on that site too. My other site I use for rifle hunting and I set up 100 yards off my containter on that one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    elktracker - No, it's not too late to register for a site. My guess is you can still sign up for one, (or two, as sticknbiggens pointed out) even during the season. Although, a lot of good sites get gobbled up on April 1st. My advice to you is to find an area you're interested in and scan a copy of the map. Then, go into G&F and cross out the sections that are already taken. After that, you can scout the sections available and decide what you want. That way, you can get an idea where to put the bait, and how to hunt it. The G&F also want to know what corner of the section your bait is going to be in.

That's similar to what I did this year. I held onto a solid section (had six bears come in last year and killed two), but didn't renew my second one, the lesser of the two. I went to the G&F in late March to find out what didn't get renewed and was available for this year... and low a behold, a GREAT spot had opened up. Luckily, someone from Cody didn't renew it and I snagged a really nice section close to my other one. It should be a fun year!
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    Save your bacon grease, put it to simmer in a pan on your pack stove, sit back and enjoy the evening till ya get one!
    So would this require a bait permit or would it be considered a scent like the 12 miles of dead fish burn sticks?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Elkoholic and sticknbiggens. I'll look into what sites are available around here. Good luck, and post some pictures if you guys get some bears down this spring.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have had great success hunting bears over bait here in MN. We have harvested 8 bears, with the biggest being 270#.

A couple of items we have found that really work are annise(black licorice scent), burnt honey(if you know of any honey producers in the area), peanut butter, and vanilla. We also have a local bakery save their discarded day old donuts-bears love donuts. Honey burns are also productive.

By far the best item is the burnt honey(a byproduct of producing honey, which contain large clumps of solid sugar)bears absolutely go crazy over this stuff. We would pour it over trees stumps/logs and over the ground-the bears would tear the bark off trees, dig up the ground and eat the dirt-amazing.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used Eastman's "Bear Crack" last year. It's a burn you do while you're in the stand. Smells really good, and the bears seemed to like it.