Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

How to Optimize My Setup

How do I know what is the optimum setup for my bowhunting rig in terms of delivering the most penetration at 40 yards?

Right now, I shoot an 2011 Elite Pulse bow set at 55 lbs with a 28.5 draw length. With some practice, I could probably work that up to 60 lbs. I shoot Slik Trick 100 gr. broadheads and Whitetail Hunter 5575 carbon arrows with 2 inch blazer vanes.

How do I know if a different arrow/broadhead combination would give me more energy for penetration? Does it even matter until I get out to longer distances like 50 or 60 yards?

Or, is this just a tradeoff between arrow speed (less drop) and penetration where I have to decide the combination of speed and penetration I want?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    whats your fps on that bow at 55lb? your 5575 should be perfect. i wouldnt think youd have a problem at all with that set up for making clean shot at 40yrds. i personaly would up my poundage to atleast 60 for 40+yard shots just to give you the extra umph, when you are able to but i think you r still sitting pretty. if you are using a 5 pin sight i cant imagine you would have enough room for 60 yard pin anyway at 55lb. am i wrong here?? either way at 40 yards you shouldnt have an issue.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shot my first mule deer at 35 yards with a 58 pound 28 inch draw. Complete pass through no problem. I had a 5 pin site with pins from 20-60, but the 60 pin was fairly tight to the bubble level. I was shooting a 3 blade Rage. Your broadhead will have some to do with penetration as well. The larger cutting diameter usually won't have as much penetration due to the higher amount of friction on the blades. I, personally, would make sure you are shooting at least a three blade around the 1" to 1 1/8" diameter if you are going to be taking longer shots. I wouldn't trust the larger two blade broadheads out there at the extended ranges as much, but that's just my opinion.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    I shot my first mule deer at 35 yards with a 58 pound 28 inch draw. Complete pass through no problem. I had a 5 pin site with pins from 20-60, but the 60 pin was fairly tight to the bubble level. I was shooting a 3 blade Rage. Your broadhead will have some to do with penetration as well. The larger cutting diameter usually won't have as much penetration due to the higher amount of friction on the blades. I, personally, would make sure you are shooting at least a three blade around the 1" to 1 1/8" diameter if you are going to be taking longer shots. I wouldn't trust the larger two blade broadheads out there at the extended ranges as much, but that's just my opinion.
    I killed a deer with 2 blade rage at 57 yards this year. Not a 100% pass thru but an entry and exit wound.

Here is my thought on 2- blade vs 3 blade. I think there is less friction because you are only cutting twice and in opposite direction. You are cutting roughly 2" hole with a two blade head. With a 3 blade head, you are cutting approximately 2.5" total all in different directions. Imagine being stabbed with a knife then imagine being stabbed with a 3 sided knife. Another thing to consider with 3-blade is passing through ribs, instead of slipping in between them, they now have to separate the rib or hit it just right.

Just my thoughts but I'm an amateur

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot two or three deer every year with that setup here in NC and nearly always have a pass-through shot. In NC, the limit is 6. My son-in-law usually shoots the limit but I don't need that much venison. In fact, I usually give a lot away.

The farthest I have had to shoot here was 35 yards. I was thinking about the longer ranges I might see out west on elk or antelope spot and stalk.

The bow is rated 340 fps IBO. An online calculator says that at 60 lbs, 28.5 draw length, 375 grain arrow and figuring for a peep and D-loop, I should be shooting 290 fps but I have never shot it through a chronograph.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    yeah the 340 fps rating is only if your bow is all full draw length and maxed at highest poundage that the bow will allow for. sounds like u knew that though, my comfort zone where i fell my bow shoot the best is at 65lb. everyone will have a diff "zone" i am curious as to how the of viewers of this forum feel the poundage should be set at for clean shots fo post 40 yards.....