Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What do you do after your antelope is down?

Last year my dad and I killed 4 antelope. The first 2 antelope we butchered in the field without field dressing them and received a $400 fine for not retrieving the inner tenderloins when WGFD showed up at our camp later in the day!! Needless to say the other 2 antelope we killed the following morning were field dressed, brought back to camp, hung from a tree and butchered the old fashion way!! We noticed that the antelope that were butchered without field dressing tasted fantastic while the 2 we field dressed and brought back to camp weren't quite as delicious but still quite tasty. Wondered how others handled thier antelope after harvesting?

Thanks
    if your careful, you can remove the tenderloin without a complete field dressing. Takes a little practice but you can get to them after you remove the backstraps. Theres a video somewhere ive seen that shows how to do this. Ive been doing it the last couple years and man is it nice not have to deal with a gut pile!

Ill try to find that video for you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I haven't gutted a animal in years! Why? We pack our animals out on our backs. We quarter, debone, and pack out. The small little loins are not required to remove in Nv.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    if your careful, you can remove the tenderloin without a complete field dressing. Takes a little practice but you can get to them after you remove the backstraps. Theres a video somewhere ive seen that shows how to do this. Ive been doing it the last couple years and man is it nice not have to deal with a gut pile!

Ill try to find that video for you.

I've seen this before too but haven't tried it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I haven't gutted a animal in years! Why? We pack our animals out on our backs. We quarter, debone, and pack out. The small little loins are not required to remove in Nv.
    Regardless of regs. The tenderloin is my absolute favorite piece of meat, so there's no way im leaving without it!

Thanks
    Ouch! Thats not my definition of wanton waste but I guess my definition isn't worth squat.

Thanks
    Even gutless the loins are accessible. One of the best cuts on em.

Thanks
    I immediately gutless field dress (remove quarters and backstraps), then carefully cut a small slit in the upper part of the stomach near the backbone and retrieve the tenderloins. I then put each quarter in a separate 45 gallon garbage bag, press out the air and tie it off. I put the backstraps in a separate one. Then SUBMERGE everything in ice. Make sure you keep the ice chest well drained and restocked with ice. Usually when I have been hunting, it is hot, and I want to get the temperature of the meat down quickly. I can carry this about 5 days with no problems before cutting the meat.

You may hear people say "never put meat in plastic bags". That is true if it is not chilled, because you retain heat AND moisture, which a terrible combination. You will notice almost all meat in the big markets comes to the markets in large pieces chilled and in plastic bags. Very few markets actually cut from the carcass any longer.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Proof of sex question - My buddy and I are going hunting antelope for a week and could possible have 3 bucks and 4 does from 3 different states in the back of the truck each if we both tag out. Can we just save the heads from all the animals and is that sufficient proof or do we need to have something attached to the quarters?