Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Heads are not proof enough. You will need some special parts left attached to the quarters

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    Proof of sex question - My buddy and I are going hunting antelope for a week and could possible have 3 bucks and 4 does from 3 different states in the back of the truck each if we both tag out. Can we just save the heads from all the animals and is that sufficient proof or do we need to have something attached to the quarters?
    That depends on the regulations of the particular state. Usually you have to leave proof of sex attached a quarter. We normally take our animals to a meat processor between hunts and have them cut and wrapped and carry them on dry ice as we move state to state.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1996 YT), Fannin (1997 YT), Bighorn (1998 CO Unit S-26), Stone (1995 BC), Desert (2001 NV Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 WY Unit 5)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    That depends on the regulations of the particular state. Usually you have to leave proof of sex attached a quarter. We normally take our animals to a meat processor between hunts and have them cut and wrapped and carry them on dry ice as we move state to state.
    The Wyoming game warden told us all that was required from a doe antelope was a piece of the udder showing at least 1 teet.

Thanks
    Thanks Wags, the video is a huge help!!

Thanks
    I watched a similar video 2 years ago. Every animal since has been gutless. It is quite simple to get the tenderloins out. Getting the meat cooled is the most important thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    Ouch! Thats not my definition of wanton waste but I guess my definition isn't worth squat.
    The definition of edible portions lists the inner tenderloin as well as the other obvious cuts of meat. It was my own fault for not reading the definition of "Edible Portions". The game warden was very professional and polite, just my own screw up!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    Proof of sex question - My buddy and I are going hunting antelope for a week and could possible have 3 bucks and 4 does from 3 different states in the back of the truck each if we both tag out. Can we just save the heads from all the animals and is that sufficient proof or do we need to have something attached to the quarters?
    I wouldn't rely on anyone's word of mouth. I would, for sure, have a copy of each states regulations and read them thoroughly. It will tell in black and white what you need in each state for evidence of sex. The game warden excuse could cost you some big bucks ($$$$).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    I wouldn't rely on anyone's word of mouth. I would, for sure, have a copy of each states regulations and read them thoroughly. It will tell in black and white what you need in each state for evidence of sex. The game warden excuse could cost you some big bucks ($$$$).
    It's relatively easy to get the inside loins doing the gutless method after a little practice. It should be the very last thing you do. I had a Wyoming game warden show up at just the right time and watch me do it a few years ago. He had never seen it done and said that I had taken all the required meat off of the animal. . .

Thanks
    This is the best vid I have seen on the subject. Loins with ease.

http://vimeo.com/m/27839614

Thanks
    I saw that video once last year and that was one time too many. He just as well used a hatchet.

Loins are right at the last full rib. Just cut the membrane between the gut sack and short ribs, back towards the ham, reach in and snip them out.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 03-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.