Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    airborne, I have never understood why people hang their game to age it. I don't think it makes it taste any better. If tou hang it, the outide of the meat dries out and then you just have to cut it off and wate good meat in the process. Like UH said, get it cooled down as soon as possible and keep it out of standing water in your cooler. I have found the best way to get antelope to taste good, is to not chase it all over the county before you shoot it. I could never tell you what latic acid taste like but I know if you shoot one that has been running they taste a little different, I've heard it is latic acid. Don't know if that is true or not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    I saw that video once last year and that was one time too many. He just as well used a hatchet.

Loins are right at the last full rib. Just cut the membrane between the gut sack and short ribs, back towards the ham, reach in and snip them out.
    Just watched it for the first time, I liked it. Not sure how anyone could do it much cleaner; but then again I like Fred as a hunting show host.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 seems like a solid guy. And doing it with a leatherman is icing on the cake to me.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This is the best demonstration video on gutless field dressing I've seen. The game wardens also explain what's required to take and proof of sex.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdtCMjlcedI
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    That depends on the regulations of the particular state. Usually you have to leave proof of sex attached a quarter. We normally take our animals to a meat processor between hunts and have them cut and wrapped and carry them on dry ice as we move state to state.
    Most states license the meat processers and they are responsible for verifying sex to correct tag before they process the animal. Also if you have an either sex tag (like most of the "buck" tags are in Wy.), you don't have to leave any verification of sex on the meat...at least in Wyoming. Your tag is good for any antelope.

I also watched the WG&F video. It was pretty good. The only problem I have is using the gutless method wastes some meat i usually use. I normally take all the red meat off the ribs, brisket and neck which is left in the video. I use this to grind up for use in my bratwurst. You will actually waste quite a bit on deer and more on elk. I really like to hang the animal, skin & quarter. I even bought a steel device that fits in my trailer hitch receiver and has a winch, cable & pullies to hoist the animal up for skinning no matter where you are...no trees needed.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 05-14-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing that I didn't hear was dealing with bloodshot meat in the field. On my dad's antelope he got a few years ago in WY, the buck was shot through both shoulders. Most of the meat on those shoulders was not any good. Are you allowed to remove that bloodshot meat and leave it in the field or do you have to take that meat out with you. This is somthing that I will double check with WG&F before our next trip out to WY but was curious if any of you guys had the answer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No problem taking the neck meat when doing the gutless method, and the ribs usually aren't a problem. And, it's far easier to slip the guts out after the quarters are off if you really want to get the rib racks, heart, liver, etc . . . . Who wants to hold up or tie off on elk leg while somebody wrestles the guts out? In reference to bloodshot meat, unless you unloaded on the the thing with an AR, cutting out the bloodshot should not be a problem. It's pretty well-know that bloodshot meat is no good and that it's a byproduct of hunting. If you show up without the front quarters, though, you'll have some splaining to do!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    Proof of sex question - My buddy and I are going hunting antelope for a week and could possible have 3 bucks and 4 does from 3 different states in the back of the truck each if we both tag out. Can we just save the heads from all the animals and is that sufficient proof or do we need to have something attached to the quarters?
    You would be better off in reading the regulations of each state you tag out in than listening to any advice on here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep...thats a fact. Some states want you to tag the carcass, others the head and there are lots of differences on how they want sex identified. Check each state's regs!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Yep...thats a fact. Some states want you to tag the carcass, others the head and there are lots of differences on how they want sex identified. Check each state's regs!!
    Solid advice right there............