Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How do you decide what to hunt next?

Just apply and see what you draw?

I apply for some long shots, so if drawn that would be the hunt, but in general I try to draw 1 good/great tag out west each year.

But how do you decide what's next? deer? elk? moose? sheep? canada? alaska?

Thanks
    I'm kinda new to this whole "hunt all over over the place" stuff. I am just getting into looking at all of the states, the animals, draw system and all that, so it will be interesting to see what everyone else says. So far, I have written down all of the animals I want to hunt in my lifetime. Then, I wrote down the states I think I might want to hunt, and the different terrain I want to hunt. After that, I combine the two and start looking for somewhere to hunt. As of right now, I am planned to about 10 years out with the general cost of the trip and the year is "should" draw the tag. Some I have put on my "bucket list" and some I want to do every other year or every three years. Now I just need to keep doing more research and getting points for my hunt areas and hope for my plan to unfold!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    I put in for alot of long shots in different states, hoping to draw one! But if I drew all of them, or even 2, I would be in big trouble.... because the price of non-res super tags and being able to get the time off. But the reality is I probably have better odds being struck by lighting than drawing one of those tags.Besides the super tags I put in for, I always put in for one of the states general tag. That way I know I'll be going out-a-state each year.
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 03-28-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    I put in for alot of long shots in different states, hoping to draw one! But if I drew all of them, or even 2, I would be in big trouble....
    My brother recently asked what I was going to do if I drew two of these tags in one year... To which I replied: Ha! I can't even draw one!

I currently put in for long shots, while building points. Eventually, I'll get to a point where I pretty much know what I'm hunting the next year, based upon the points.
    Until then, when I don't draw, I bowhunt an OTC unit in an effort to continually learn it. A friend of mine shot a monster muzzleloader bull in a unit that he had been hunting with OTC tags for nearly 10 years, his knowledge of the area allowed him to kill that bull, not the high profile nature of the unit.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Fink, yea I'm in the same boat as you. I have a good 13-14 years out before I'm in the running with max points... but with point creep, it could be even longer. You never know, every now and then some buddy will hit the lotto and get drawn with less than max. I also buy raffle tags too. Someone has to win, so I want my name in the hat!
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Banned
    Thanks
    Pretty simple for me. Elk in Colorado. Mule deer when I can get a tag, but I never fail to get an elk tag. I've been doing that since the 50's.

Thanks
    I buy an Elk OTC tag and a deer OTC tag. Then sit in the woods and which ever one steps out first gets it. Then that decides which is next!
    Last edited by wolftalonID; 03-29-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    I hunt because........

Thanks
    I just play it by ear. I had to cancel last minute on an Alberta combo hunt last Fall and I imagine that'll be the next big hunt I go on. The guy who took my spot had a blast though shooting up the Canadian woods.

Thanks
    I look at how many points I have and what each area is doing, in 2010 the antelope herds in Wyoming were doing great so i cashed those points in, will cash in elk and deer pretty soon too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftalonID View Post
    I buy an Elk OTC tag and a deer OTC tag. Then sit in the woods and which ever one steps out first gets it. Then that decides which is next!
    X2

Seriously, since I am fortunate enough to live in a state that offers so many OTC opportunities, right now I just look for OTC or easier to draw opportunities that strikes me as doable for that year.