Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If we had OTC deer tags here. We wouldn't have any deer left.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can draw too many tags in one year. It has been a few years, but I drew moose tags in three different states, and premium elk tags in two other states all in the same year. I know, feel sorry for me, but it was a great year! Just borrow some money and time and go hunt. I didn't make the most of some of the tags as a result, and shot a smaller moose than I probably would have in one state at least, had I had more time to hunt. But I had some great hunts, took some great and some average animals, and overall had a blast. Very high stress, but still fun.
    Someday I may have the same problem again.... fingers crossed!
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by llp View Post
    You can draw too many tags in one year. It has been a few years, but I drew moose tags in three different states, and premium elk tags in two other states all in the same year. I know, feel sorry for me, but it was a great year! Just borrow some money and time and go hunt. I didn't make the most of some of the tags as a result, and shot a smaller moose than I probably would have in one state at least, had I had more time to hunt. But I had some great hunts, took some great and some average animals, and overall had a blast. Very high stress, but still fun.
    Someday I may have the same problem again.... fingers crossed!
    llp
    Dude! For the sake of the rest of us no luck havin' saps, I hope your luck slows down a little! Maybe down to just 1 moose tag and 1 elk tag per year. What exactly does one do with the meat of 3 moose and 2 elk in 1 year? Open a restaurant?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well it comes down to having back up plans. All my really good tags came from the random draw as opposed to Preference points.

It is also a matter of being satisfied with hunting second choice or OTC units for one species where you can build points for another species or another season in the same unit, and when you finally draw that special tag, knowing that country will be of more value to you.

Every year I look at what states and species I'm applying for, and determine what my priorities are. It is tough when your Top Hunt is a later draw than your backup plan. Every now and then you have to turn a tag back in...Consider it a Karma Building exercise.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    My wife and I do limited entry hunts almost exclusively. I have a spread sheet that organizes all our applications according to the application date and draw dates, I mark the "done" field when I have applied that year. Here is a sample of the first few entries:

On this spreadsheet I track our points and what year I believe we should draw.

On a separate spreadsheet I track each species and state we are applying for. I watch things like draw statistics, harvest statistics, expected season dates in future years, and the moon phase compared to those season dates.

I total up the expected draw odds for all of the hunts we apply for in a given year. If the total draw is around 100%, statistically we should draw one tag, if its around 200% we should draw two tags...and so on. I make adjustments accordingly.

Our back-up plan on years we likely won't draw are hunts like Montana mule deer, Wyoming antelope, Oregon archery elk, etc.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 04-02-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So basically, we should also subscribe to Umpqua's Research Section? lol! I have a similar spreadsheet, but it is not nearly as in depth. I mainly keep track of what I want to hunt, how many points I have for my hunts, expected year, and rough cost of the hunt (very rough). I do like having all of my info in an excel spreadsheet. It definitely makes it much easier to look at everything without having papers and magazines to flip though!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    My wife and I do limited entry hunts almost exclusively. I have a spread sheet that organizes all our applications according to the application date and draw dates, I mark the "done" field when I have applied that year. Here is a sample of the first few entries:

On this spreadsheet I track our points and what year I believe we should draw.

On a separate spreadsheet I track each species and state we are applying for. I watch things like draw statistics, harvest statistics, expected season dates in future years, and the moon phase compared to those season dates.

I total up the expected draw odds for all of the hunts we apply for in a given year. If the total draw is around 100%, statistically we should draw one tag, if its around 200% we should draw two tags...and so on. I make adjustments accordingly.

Our back-up plan on years we likely won't draw are hunts like Montana mule deer, Wyoming antelope, Oregon archery elk, etc.
    Hey UH, how do you make a sheet like that. Pretty cool how organized everything is.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    Hey UH, how do you make a sheet like that. Pretty cool how organized everything is.
    Hey Muleys. Just start with a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. You can see in the example the headings I've used. I've been tweaking this the past several years and like the way it's set-up now. I wanted to show enough to help you guys set up your own if you'd like.

I've found that listing the various applications chronologically by due date works best for me (starting January 1). A quick look during the applications season, and I can easily tell what applications are due next, or I can tell if I will know the draw results from one state, before the another state's applications are due.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcour View Post
    So basically, we should also subscribe to Umpqua's Research Section? lol!
    Agreed, I've told him the same thing in a few PMs and told him I'd sign up for his Research Section. He is pretty successful and I think he has a good system too. I tend to do more OTC out of state hunts when I do them but his ideas are pretty awesome on tag planning for the future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Hey Muleys. Just start with a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. You can see in the example the headings I've used. I've been tweaking this the past several years and like the way it's set-up now. I wanted to show enough to help you guys set up your own if you'd like.

I've found that listing the various applications chronologically by due date works best for me (starting January 1). A quick look during the applications season, and I can easily tell what applications are due next, or I can tell if I will know the draw results from one state, before the another state's applications are due.
    I'll give it a shot.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club