Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'll be 72 later this year too. We old folks should take over this forum.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought we did?

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    Thats for sure, we are lucky we can even think about this type of hunting. You lived in Co. all ur life?
    I wish I had. I came here every year to hunt since the 50's, but moved here only 7 years ago. I came here to retire not only to hunt, but to fly fish too. At some point it will just be fly fishing, but that ok. I love it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You old folks inspire us younger guys! Give us hope for later on. I should make time to exercise more, but I'm in good shape & eat healthy. I do alot of manual labor & coach soccer, t-ball & softball. The kids make sure I stay in shape. I'm honestly more concerned about my mules being in shape, mentally & physically. If we have wreck on one of them, it could be a matter of life or death!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have donkey races here. 20 miles through the mountains at high altitude. You can't ride the donkey. You have to run next to it.

Do that with your mules, and you'll both stay in shape.

When I hike the mountains I try to stay with my dog. He'd wear out a young man.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    I have been hammering at the gym everyday before work (6 days a week). Free weights and shooting at home at night. Usual day is up at 4:30am. In the gym at 6:30am. Run 3 miles, stationary bike 15 min. Hit some weights and off to work. Get home at 6:00pm. Dinner. Arms and upper body with the free weights and then shoot for 30-45min. In bed at 11pm.

I changed my diet fair bit and I have managed to drop 35lbs since Christmas and I now do my 3 mile runs in about 25min. I want to be doing a 6 mile run with a 30lb pack on in under 60min by the time I hit the high country in July. I would love to get out and do some longer runs and train outside but I got 6 inches of snow last week and it was -23C (-10F) Monday morning. Got to love spring time in Alberta!
    Be careful trying for that time - I use the standard for the Forest Service wildland firefighter test as my target, 45lbs 3 miles in 45 minutes.

I did the 3 milees in 47 minutes the other night and I was humping, that's a 15 minute per mile pace and I would consider 13 minutes per mile to be really moving.

You're talking a sub 10 minute per mile pace - with 30lbs on your back, you're risking some serious damage to your ankles, knees and hips.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    You guys are all inspiring! I was training hard everyday until last week when I found out why my progression has been so discouraging. I could not figure out why I was not improving on my running distance or times and why the weights were continually kicking my a$$. I have Mono. Explains the aches and constant fatigue. Can't wait for this crap to leave my system. I'm still eating healthy but as for working out, am just walking my dog. Fished a canyon on Friday and was wiped out afterward. I'm 34 and have always been a bear but right now I've never felt weaker in my life. Keep hammerin' guys and gals and I'll be back in game shortly!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    Be careful trying for that time - I use the standard for the Forest Service wildland firefighter test as my target, 45lbs 3 miles in 45 minutes.
    I did the 3 milees in 47 minutes the other night and I was humping, that's a 15 minute per mile pace and I would consider 13 minutes per mile to be really moving.
    Does that incorporate any kind of altitude change or allowance for such or is it flatland like on a track?

Oh hell, on edit, I shoulda just googled it first:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/safety/wct...info_sheet.pdf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tried the wildland firefighter fitness test, 43:26 w/ 48.8 lb pack. On a flat track its a lot of control below the knee.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe Nob View Post
    Tried the wildland firefighter fitness test, 43:26 w/ 48.8 lb pack. On a flat track its a lot of control below the knee.
    Good time.

This got me digging around on that again, look up "USFS","Pack Test" on google, in a forum, they were saying the fastest recorded time is like 34 minutes, without running.

I'm on a 1.5 mile road and the last 1/2 mile climbs 150 feet, so it's 1 mile out level, 1/2 mile uphill, 1/2 mile downhill and 1 mile level back. I'm working on doing that in under 45 minutes, the 47 minutes is my best so far.

I need to do it all level at some point and see where I'm at with that.
    Last edited by JMSZ; 04-22-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site