Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    best this to do is burpees... im in crossfit and im telling u guys those no matter how good of shape your in will kick your @$$ and they will always improve you in every aspect. lower body, core, upper body, and conditioning.

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm not into kicking my own ass anymore. My training simulates the hunt. Heavy backpack in the same high mountains that I hunt. 11,000ft. That way I have no surprises when I first load the backpack with elk meat, and have to hike out. I hate surprises.

Thanks
    Went out to start breaking in the new boots yesterday. Just did a short 4 mile hike. Boots fit great and feel good. Really like the new insoles as well. Back to the gym today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I'm not into kicking my own ass anymore. My training simulates the hunt. Heavy backpack in the same high mountains that I hunt. 11,000ft. That way I have no surprises when I first load the backpack with elk meat, and have to hike out. I hate surprises.
    I was thinking about this as I was running last night... I've never really been into kicking my own ass. I do a little bit of strength training, all high rep stuff, and I try to run often. Here in the next few weeks, I'll load a pack with 75 pounds, and hike up and down the best 'hills' we have out here, about 4 times a week. If I do that from mid June until September, I WILL be in great shape to hunt up around 11,000 feet.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I was thinking about this as I was running last night... I've never really been into kicking my own ass. I do a little bit of strength training, all high rep stuff, and I try to run often. Here in the next few weeks, I'll load a pack with 75 pounds, and hike up and down the best 'hills' we have out here, about 4 times a week. If I do that from mid June until September, I WILL be in great shape to hunt up around 11,000 feet.
    That will help, but it's not as good as training at 11,000ft. It builds up more red blood cells that can't be duplicated at lower altitudes. That's why athletes train at high altitudes.

I know everybody hasn't got that option. I picked where I live carefully. I can be at 11,000-12,000ft in 20 minutes.

Thanks
    I agree, nothing can duplicate actual training at 11k, and since living at 900 ft above sea level is my current situation, I just make the best of it. Perhaps when I strike it rich I will either buy an altitude training facility, or move to Colorado and be your next door neighbor.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Banned
    Thanks
    You live in a deep Colorado hole.

Thanks
    one of these days I hope to grow up and be as studly as old hunter, is there any one anywhere as awesome as he is in his own mind?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    one of these days I hope to grow up and be as studly as old hunter, is there any one anywhere as awesome as he is in his own mind?
    Keep trying kid.

Truth is. I'm not even hunting this year, because of health issues. You obviously don't get my humor, but you did well on your sarcasm classes.

Thanks
    old hunter you are correct, I never thought of humor in your post.