Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Fitness training updates!

I thought it would be good to get another thread going with what everyone is doing, what is working great, what you are struggling with, etc.

I just did 71 min 18 sec, 48.8 lb pack, double stairs, 1100 vertical ft ascent descent, 8.5 story stairwell. I need to cut 11 min off that, but I still have a month before chasing mountain turkeys. I live in a flat swamp, so hill/stair training is difficult to find.

The biggest thing for my leg strength has been a tip one of the members here gave out last year. Walking lunges really get your legs in the better shape than any other exercise. I've been doing 3 sets of 40 after my 3 mile runs a couple times a week for a month now and man, my legs are stronger than they have ever been, don't seem to have any quit in them. Still need to crush my cardio though, that's just more interval training, getting better, but my lungs are definitely my weakest link.

How's your spring fitness going?

Banned
    Thanks
    I'm doing what I always do. I hiked the mountains today for 4-5 miles 8500-9500ft. Later in the year i'll add some weight to a backpack.

When the snow melts i'll go to higher altitudes.

Thanks
    Insanity and will go start running the 3 mile loop at the park when my wife finally spits out this child.

Thanks
    I've been training at being fat and lazy.

First turkey hunt for me is this thursday. During turkey season, I'll just run a mile or two a day, after the season is over, I'll start training for 'elk shape'
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I've been training at being fat and lazy.

First turkey hunt for me is this thursday. During turkey season, I'll just run a mile or two a day, after the season is over, I'll start training for 'elk shape'

Haha ya me too! I ain't gonna lie I'm pretty good at it too! Just back from a little vaca and the wife and I will be starting the Insanity tomorrow! Booooooooo but its time.

Thanks
    I'm doing a little gym routine atm....I'm a member of traintohunt.com so I've been doing a couple of their workouts. Haven't got all the way motivated to "go hard" just yet lol
    HOYT SPYDER TURBO {70/27.5}
    A bonafide city boy...that calls the Backcountry his "hood!"

Thanks
    Started P90X in January and am on week 10. I'm planning to keep it going through the year even beyond hunting season. Will add some running and hiking with a weighted pack as we get closer to September.

Thanks
    I'm in month 12 of hitting the gym, track, or bike 5-6 days/week just about every week. Last year at this time I think I was about 158 14% BF, with a 220 max HR. Today I'm at 174, single digit BF, and I can get my HR up to 228 sustained for about 4 minutes. It's crazy what dedication and motivation can achieve. A year is a long time, but a gain of 16 lbs while having less fat feels really good. Most of my training now is geared toward balance, flexibility, and core/leg strength. One-legged squats, box jumps, legs out pull ups, wind sprints, etc. The biggest factor by far has been what I eat. If I eat bad, it doesn't matter what I do... little to no results. Low carb, high protein, clean calories... great results. I sleep better than ever, and am happier than ever. Can't wait for draw results to come out! Keep up the strong work everyone. Don't forget to set short and long-term goals for extra motivation and satisfaction.

Thanks
    Still doing the gym 3 times a week (with my wife...) and now that the weather has warmed up a bit, started my walking routine. I try and walk a 4 mile route up and down hills here at home. I have also changed my gym workout to include a lot of leg strength excersizes. Weight did ok over the winter...gained about 3#. Goal is to get between 15 & 20 off this year before hunting season. Lost 50# over the last 3 years. Wish I could still run, but Doc says I shouldn't, because of my replacement knee.

Last fall I had my first ever stress/treadmill test. My Doc says I am in great shape....."for an old fart".
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    the insanity dvd's work