Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    More important than case may be the airline you fly. The United flights I used on a bear hunt were very bad. I saw my gun case being dragged on a luggage cart. One end was on the cart and the other end was on the pavement. I could see the gun inside, the new aluminium case.
    TSA had also reopened the gun case and even left a letter inside, this after being inspected and sealed. Take down guns have the advantage of being packed in a musical instrument case and the won't recieve sush harsh treatment. The video Kevin Root provided about the pelican gun case may well be the best solution.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ended up buying a used SKB scoped rifle, tapered, hard case today. The dimensions total 64 1/2 inches, just 2 1/2 inches over the allowable size limit.

That's close enough that with the strong taper, maybe most airline counter help won't charge me the oversize charge. I'll find out next month when I fly SW Airlines to ABQ and DEN.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check the airline regulations re: cases. Each airline is different, but most allow a rifle case as "sports equipment", which like snow skis are exempt from the size surcharge. A lot of guys going to Canada, etc, have been using the SKB hard case that is designed to hold a golf bag. Pack your guns in cases, and put your clothing, etc. around them for padding. You still have to declare that you are carrying firearms. If you prefer a conventional gun case, I have used Pelican, Ziegel, Americase, and Kalispell. All have taken some pretty hard knocks, with no damage to the guns. Both Americase and Ziegel will modify a case to your specifications, including tamper proof locks. I use padlocks on some of my ice chests when traveling for hunting and several times a padlock has been ripped off by baggage handling equipment. I try to avoid any hanging appendages on sports equipment for that reason.

I flew Southwest to San Antonio in December for a hunting trip, and found them to be very firearms friendly. I looked at the regs, and I do not remember anything about oversized gun cases. It is buried in their baggage regulations.
    Last edited by Sawfish; 04-08-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's the link for SW Airlines baggage regs on guns and ammo: http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...ggage-pol.html

Here's their reg on oversize baggage: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item.

Those are the rules, but, as some have said, enforcement probably varies by which agent you get at the counter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think Pelican cases are a very solid choice. The 1700 is right at the limit for size.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks again guys. Hearing a lot about the Tuffpaks making your gun look not like a gun, any thought?

Getting short on time, I'm heading back in mid May, so gotta' get one soon.
    Last edited by Aught6Fan; 04-10-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Aught6Fan View Post
    Thanks again guys. Hearing a lot about the Tuffpaks making your gun look not like a gun, any thought?

Getting short on time, I'm heading back in mid May, so gotta' get one soon.
    That's true, but you still have to declare any firearms at check in.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Do-All Cape Buffalo Flight Proof double scoped rifle case. You will pay the oversized charge for it. It's well over 50# with one scoped rifle in it. Absolutely indestructable. But,it's been discontinued I believe. I would have to think it has replaced by another model though. If you don't mind a hernia now and then,and can find one, I highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    That's true, but you still have to declare any firearms at check in.
    Yep, understood, Sawfish. The thing I kept reading about the Tuffpac, and probably true for the SKB or any other over-sized case that is dependent on additional materials for the padding, was that the TSA (et al) may choose to reopen the case after the initial inspection and may not pack it back a carefully as you did.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys I really appreciate it, looks like I've decided on the Pelican 1750. I was at Sportsman's Warehouse earlier today (heads up to you north central Idaho/SE Washington folks, there's a new Sportsman's Warehouse in Lewiston, ID ) and was looking at one. Looks like it will do what I want.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the hard case meant for golf bags,The thing looks like clubs,so the anti- luggage guys don't throw it around for sport.I pack mine with clothes till i approach the weight limit.Spray painted the ends orange,easy to spot that way.Larry