Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you haven't bought one yet, you might want to look at Americase. These cases are built like Ft Knox. Here's the link:

http://www.americase.com/

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for the tip, Smoke. As it turns out a friend offered to loan me his old LL Bean aluminum case that worked nicely. Since I've postponed the purchase, I'll give it a look.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I flew four legs on my recent trip with my single rifle tapered case and wasn't asked to pay oversize baggage fees once.

On the other hand, my zero was off by more than a foot when I checked my scope after I landed. I don't know if a bigger, more stout case would have prevented that or not. My gun case is pretty stiff with good, dense foam.

Makes me wonder what those baggage handlers do with these cases. All they've got to do is stack them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=smokepole;55282]If you haven't bought one yet, you might want to look at Americase. These cases are built like Ft Knox. Here's the link:

Americase also offers a lifetime guarantee against just about anything, including airline damage. They replaced the piano hinge and "feet" on my Safari Case, and re-lined the lid of the case at no charge!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Aught6Fan View Post
    Yep, understood, Sawfish. The thing I kept reading about the Tuffpac, and probably true for the SKB or any other over-sized case that is dependent on additional materials for the padding, was that the TSA (et al) may choose to reopen the case after the initial inspection and may not pack it back a carefully as you did.
    TSA regulations require that the case be locked by the owner, and that the owner retain the key. If TSA chooses to look into your case it will be at check in, and in your presence, so you can ensure the case is repacked properly.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    TSA regulations require that the case be locked by the owner, and that the owner retain the key. If TSA chooses to look into your case it will be at check in, and in your presence, so you can ensure the case is repacked properly.
    Yes, at the first visual inspection you lock it and keep the key. But below is an excerpt taken from the TSA webpage on firearms transport...

• TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.

• If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.

As I read these two, a locked case marked as containing a firearm may alarm for some reason other than the firearm or they wouldn't be leaving it off the plane, if the airline cannot locate you to resolve it. Bullet two does seem to imply that if the case is marked as containing a firearm they wont cut the lock, but that the TSA does have the right to cut locks to resolve content issues. I understand this is why numerous companies are now making a TSA friendly locks that TSA agents have a master key for. This allows them to open the container, resolve issues and re-lock the container without the owner present.

I haven't had this issue myself, but a few people on other forums, I found while reviewing cases, mentioned it has happened to them.
    Last edited by Aught6Fan; 06-30-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    "I understand this is why numerous companies are now making a TSA friendly locks that TSA agents have a master key for. This allows them to open the container, resolve issues and re-lock the container without the owner present.
    I haven't had this issue myself, but a few people on other forums, I found while reviewing cases, mentioned it has happened to them."

***My buddy moved to Florida several years ago and when he flies into Rapid City,SD for me to pick him up for our annual pheasant hunt he has a lock that TSA can open with their master key to avoid any reason for cutting the lock off his shotgun case.