Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Glasses or Contact Lenses?

I'm 48, and really hoped to make it to 50 before needing glasses, but I didn't quite make it. I tried LASIK 3 years ago on my bad eye (my right/dominant eye) which brought it back to 20/20, but now its right back where it was before LASIK.

I am trying to decide whether to go the glasses or contact lens route. One of the biggest pieces in my decision is which would be better for hunting and glassing. Glasses will be easier for everyday life. But I would think glasses would be a pain for glassing (my hunting style relies heavily on glassing), or hunting in wet weather (my home state is Oregon). What is your opinion?

If you are recommending contacts, which brand/type do you recommend. This is all totally new to me!
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Gosh after 40 years old vision seems to fade a bit on most folks is what my eye doc told me at least. Making it to 48 is awesome. I had to get reading glasses a while back and just came to the conclusion it was just what I needed to do. For me it does not really affect me for glassing or shooting with the scope. No glasses needed there for my vision yet.

I do need help with fly fishing tying small flies now and not having glasses is terrible work and the glasses make it so much better. Any close up detail work just needs glasses now for me so I carry glasses with me.

If you have to wear bifocals now for both long and close up vision do you have the LASIK option anymore or is that out of the question now? I'm not much help on the contacts question. I think it will all come down to your gut feeling on what option you are most comfortable with.

It would be nice not to age and have vision of my earlier years, but sadly time waits on nobody. I feel your pain a bit needing vision correction. The good news is you have solutions to keep you going strong and that's a good thing.

Thanks
    Well join the "old folks"! I have worn reading glasses for 25 years now and about 5 or 6 years ago had to start wearing glasses all the time. As I have mentioned before I'll be 72 this year. A couple of years ago my eye doc and I had a discussion about contact lenses. I wore hard contacts a long time ago and they were really uncomfortable, so I was a little leary. He gave me some extended wear soft contacts to try and I loved them. I've been wearing them for about 2 years now. They are called Air Optix brand and I wear them 24/7, never take them out until they are wore out. They last around a month. They will "let you know" when it's time to change them. My eyes get tired and feel kind of "gritty" when they need to be changed. They are pretty cheap too, about $10.00 a lens, so about &20.00 a month. I don't need RX sun glasses, just wear good B & L Ray Bans. I shoot a lot of competition and actually see better than with my old glasses. The only thing that I do is put in a drop of eye lube I get from the doc when I get up in the AM.

I love them
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Umpqua Hunter (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    I have wore contacts since I was 20 (16 yrs) I have a pair of glasses that I wear when I take my contacts out, and I love the contacts compared to glasses. With glasses I get a glare or when raining you are always cleaning them. I can't shoot my bow with glasses (can't see through the peep sight because of where the frame is) and glassing was a pain for me too. I also use Air Optix but have to take them out every few days and let my eyes rest at night.
    Shoot STR8

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RUTTIN For This Useful Post:

Umpqua Hunter (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks guys!

Kevin, I do have the LASIK option, but considering that really only improved my vision for 3 years or less, I think I'm going to hold off. I think I'll see if my eyesight stabilizes and then maybe do it again. Last time the LASIK surgeon said I would need readers, but when it came down to it, everything cleared up, so it was awesome while it lasted.

Thanks CC and Ruttin....thanks a bunch for the Air Optix recommendation. I really like the sound of that. I am leaning to start with contacts and see how that goes for a few months. Those just might be the ticket. Great info. I really appreciate it!
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    I've worn glasses for 35 years -- first person in my grade school class to need them (had a few sets of contacts, too). Generally, I prefer contacts, but they are kind of a pain to take care of. I tried contacts again a few years ago, and they just didn't fully correct my vision, they were fine for distance but not for close (which you may think would be fine for hunting, but try reading a gps screen or tying on tackle if you fish). 2 things I love about contacts that haven't been mentioned: they don't fog up in the winter, and you can where sunglasses with them (I've never found a truly acceptable clip on, and buying a second pair of prescription sun glasses can get expensive). That said, I'm going to look into the Air Optix as well.

Thanks
    One thing I didn't mention is that they do make bifocal contacts. Mine are that type, but they are only partially correctable. It all depends on the correction you need. I still use off the shelf reading glasses in certain circumstances.

One other thing ... when I was on a hunting trip to texas, an Opthomologist was hunting with me (I didn't know him) and he saw me taking my contacts out each night and told me I really didn't have to do that. He also told me let my eyes tell me when I needed to take them out temporarily and also when they needed to be replaced. I've had them last as long as 2 months. When I do take them out for short periods of time, I wear corrective lens glasses and it takes a few hours for my eyes to adjust. I guess this is a misstatement, as i've been told its the time your brain needs to change back to glasses.

All in all....I love them and never want to go back to glasses!!!!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-05-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    One thing about contacts - if you have dry eyes, and LASIK will make your eye drier, your contact can literally pop off your eye. Good luck finding it in the field and not getting dirt on it when you pick it up.

My eyes have always been so dry I can't wear contacts, though they sure would be nice. Nothing like sweat running down your lenses when you're in the field, at the gym and working in the shop.

If you do wear glasses, let me pass along a couple suggestions.

First, take an extra pair and keep them in your pack. You can lose a screw and the temple can come off or you can roll over them in your tent or step on them in the dark. If you're in the backcountry or even just out for the day and don't have pretty good vision, that can really mess up your trip.

If you're going to be in a tree stand, take a strap to keep them on your head so when you point your sweaty face at the ground they don't fall there. Been there, and had to take my climber back down the tree to get them while deer were starting to come by.

I have used the no-lines graduated lenses for years but I am getting a pair that is just one long distance prescription because I hate the way everything is slightly out of focus if it's not in the middle of the lens. Plus, the close vision part of the lens is so small I have to point my nose at the heavens to read anything and it makes me look ridiculous. So now, I'm carrying separate glasses for reading. Its a little bit of a hassle but worth it to have everything clear.

Keep a lens cloth in a little soft plastic case in your pocket. When you use your shirt to wipe off sweat or dirt over time they really get scratchy, even with the protective coating. Speaking of coatings, get the polarizing and the protective coating, usually as a package price.

I also carry a tiny little case in my pack with extra screws, nose pad and tiny screwdriver. It weighs about as much as a nickel and isn't much bigger. If that sounds like overkill, when you've been around awhile, you learn from experience. Behind everything I carry is a frustrating incident. Small things to solve big problems are good things to have.

Thanks
    A fix for dry eyes is getting your tear ducts blocked. I did this 2 years ago and it made an amazing difference. I have to use my contacts while out hunting, I have such light sensitive eyes I always have to wear sunglasses. Tried with prescription sunglasses but it was a pain the change glasses,

Thanks
    I always carry a spare set on contacts while I'm hunting and some drops for my eyes too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley