Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dick Metcalf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dick Metcalf

Did anyone here read Guns&Ammo's December issue yet? I'll direct you to the last page & Metcalf's stupid and harmfull essay therein. He sure put a knife in the back of all gunowners with his "Pro-Regulation" stance on concealed carry. I think perhaps he's lived in Illinois too long or perhaps he's just getting senile. He seems to think that a forced 16 hour gun training and testing session plus whatever fees Feds/State/local law enforcement wants to charge is no infringement on our second amendment rights. The other thing I find incredible, is that G&A actually published it.
    Metcalf sure pulled a "Zumbo" writing that harmful trash, and in my opinion should be fired for it. G&A is sure to lose a significant number of subscribers because of it. Check-out the G&A website.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I subscribe to G & A and have read the article.

Unfortunately I don't completely agree with either of you. I am a CC holder and have been for 15 years. I've been thru the training MY state requires. The Feds pretty much stay out of the CC issue, it is the states that set the requirements. Some states are fine, some aren't. Here in Colorado the requirements were rewritten a couple of years ago. Before then, each County could set their own regs. Now everything is state level, but the County still issues the permit but adheres to the state reqm'ts.. Some states it's almost impossible to a C C permit...like California.

Do I believe that setting requirements for the issues of a CC permit is wrong......emphatically no. Not every gun owner should automatically have a CC permit. I believe that training and profiency should be part of the requirements. Should everyone automatically get a hunting license.....thats why we have Hunter Safety Training. If you believe that no training and profiency is required, then we should do away with hunter safety too. I don't think so. I sure wouldn't want to be in the field if that was the case.

We need some REASONABLE regulation for everyones safety, especially mine. Rest my case.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 11-03-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I agree some form of training should be required. Washington here all you have to do is pass the background check. I think Idaho has a good idea here. They accept a hunters safety card, DD 214 showing you were in the military, or you can take a 1 day course. I got Idaho's too because it is accepted in Wyoming, Nebraska, and a couple other states that WA is not. ! thing I cant understand is if you are an ID resident your CWP is accepted in CO, but if your not an ID resident its not accepted in CO. The requirements are the same for either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    There needs to be some training involved. I was able to get mine in Wyoming by showing them my hunter safety card and a background check. I took Hunter safety when I was 8 years old. Thats all they needed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My father taught me how to use a firearm. That is probably not good enough for the state I live in. When facing my assailant, I'm O.K. with a handgun and no formal training.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "Shall not be infringed". A right given to us by our creator, no requirement for a class.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippy Hacky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy Hacky View Post
    "Shall not be infringed". A right given to us by our creator, no requirement for a class.
    Finally, someone with the right answer. Requiring training is not in the second amendment. Who's to say the next batch of politicians won't ask for "Just a bit more"? That's a slippery slope. You all know that if you give a gun-grabbing legislator an inch, they'll take a mile. JMO

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I stand by my original post. I am a certified NRA Pistol & Rifle Instructor and Range Safety Officer. I have seen some stuff at the range that would curl your hair. I was also a hunter safety Instructor in California. The article in G & A was on training requirements for concealed carry....thats all. I've seen people buy a handgun and not even know how to load it or put it on safe.

I think it would help for some of you to read the article that the original post was based on!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I subscribe to G & A and have read the article.

Unfortunately I don't completely agree with either of you. I am a CC holder and have been for 15 years. I've been thru the training MY state requires. The Feds pretty much stay out of the CC issue, it is the states that set the requirements. Some states are fine, some aren't. Here in Colorado the requirements were rewritten a couple of years ago. Before then, each County could set their own regs. Now everything is state level, but the County still issues the permit but adheres to the state reqm'ts.. Some states it's almost impossible to a C C permit...like California.

Do I believe that setting requirements for the issues of a CC permit is wrong......emphatically no. Not every gun owner should automatically have a CC permit. I believe that training and profiency should be part of the requirements. Should everyone automatically get a hunting license.....thats why we have Hunter Safety Training. If you believe that no training and profiency is required, then we should do away with hunter safety too. I don't think so. I sure wouldn't want to be in the field if that was the case.

We need some REASONABLE regulation for everyones safety, especially mine. Rest my case.
    I agree with the required training and agree with some of the regulations that a person must adhere to so that they can get a CC permit.
    I adamantly believe that EVERYONE should be required to pass a hunter safety course no matter how young OR old they are. None of the "if born before this date" crap, grandfathered in. I've seen too many "jerks" that have no business out in the field with a weapon in their hands and no clue what the hell they were doing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trkytrack2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I stand by my original post. I am a certified NRA Pistol & Rifle Instructor and Range Safety Officer. I have seen some stuff at the range that would curl your hair. I was also a hunter safety Instructor in California. The article in G & A was on training requirements for concealed carry....thats all. I've seen people buy a handgun and not even know how to load it or put it on safe.

I think it would help for some of you to read the article that the original post was based on!
    Democratic "Common sense" gun regulation? We may have Hillary Clinton as our (new?) president in a few years, and you think O'bummer is bad. And I'll stand by what the second amendment is, a RIGHT, not a privilege.