Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Any 264wm believers out there?

Curious if there are any 264 believers on the site. Ive pondering the idea of liquidating my 270wsm to fund a barrel and revamp on my grandfathers old model 70 264wm (1965 acc. To the numbers) It was handed down a few years ago and has been collecting dust after a couple hundred bucks worth of ammo concluded the barrel was done in on it.

I realize the 270wsm and 264wm are very close as far as ballistics go. Just find myself going back and forth on the decision to part with the 270. Im a one gun kinda guy. Mostly bow hunt but threw in a couple rifle choices this season. I was curious of any pros or cons on both to push me over the edge on making the decision. Thanks in advance fellas!
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 2 Posts
    264 is a good caliber. If I ever get the chance to pick one up I will. Just cause.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That rifle is a classic. A friend used to have one and it shot really well. Unfortunately he sold it without asking me if I wanted it. I would have scooped it up in a heartbeat! I have a .257 Wby that shoots pretty lose to it, but with lighter bullets.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .264 is great but I don't think I'd trade it in for the .270wsm that you have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I sold a 270wsm a while back to fund a 264 WinMag build. If I had an opportunity to do it again, I would in a heartbeat. If you take a close look at the ballistics, the 264 is right on the heels of a 7mm rem mag with less recoil. If you research the internet, most will complain that the 264 is a barrel burner. Most of the magnum rounds that are common hunting cartridges today could arguably be classified this way as well. My 264 shoots 140 bergers just over 3100 fps, and is not a hot load. GO FOR IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. I have had a few different opinions. Majority lean toward the removal of the 270. Some say go with the 6.5x284. Some say go with the 6.5 creedmore but save the original barrel for future use. Alot of choices with the mod 70 action. I think it boils down ti what do I look for in my only game rifle. I like long distance capability. Minimal recoil (easier to hand off to the wife and still be enjoyable) and im really leaning toward a pack gun so sub 7-6.5 lbs would be ideal. Keep the knowledge coming.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing you must keep in mind....the older cartidges that had/have the reputation as "barrel burners" were started when there was a completely different selection of powders on the market. Today we have some very superior slow burning powders that really lend themselves to these calibers....used to be called "over bore". My .220 Ackley Swift is a perfect example. I have shot 1000's of rounds thru it at around 4,000 fps and there appears to be littl or no barrel wear.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    I've stayed loyal to my Pre-'64, Model-70, 264-win mag for about 50-yrs now. Here's a picture of it with a buck taken in November, 2007. It still shoots a tight group at 300-yards. The only trouble I've had is when I've tried to use it in the timber. Very unforgiving if you you hit the smallest twig or fir bough.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Went for it. Dropped off the 270wsm and 264wm to my buddy. He got on it that day. Ripping and tearing apart the 48 year old rifle. I told him to scrap any additional metal and we are debating either a bell and carlson or a mcmillan stock for it. Haven't even shot a rifle since 2010 so im pretty excited to see grandpas ole trusty steed back in action. (With a modern twist of course) here are a few pics he sent yesterday the first one had a quote asking if this is of sentimental value or can he dispose of it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365427635.774355.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	5391 the second is the trigger guard he began machining some extra weight from. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365427672.449471.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	5392

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That fist pic is so funny. A few years back I took apart my grandfathers Remington Bushmaster .30-06 to clean it. The barrel was clean as a whistle but I think he brought home more manzanita in the action than he left in the woods.