Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pack in Idaho hunt 2013

I am trying to get my plans together for my first hunt trip in Idaho. I normally look to pack into wilderness areas away from roads and ATV's. I was looking at the november hunt for deer and elk in 20A, 26, or 27. It looks like people have pretty good success in the late hunt here, and I don't mind the hard work and the weather. Not looking for peoples honey holes, just want to know if I am on the right track and not wasting my time for non-resident money. Any thoughts would be great?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm considering the same hunts but vehicle travel into Unit 27 could be a gamble in November? If I go, I'll probaly leave the horse trailor and horses @ home.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that is one thing I heard. a couple guys said to be ready to bail out of the woods and move the rig and your hunt area down elevation as the snow piles up. I really want to do november so I can still do my oregon hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Were you thinking of backpacking or stock packing into the Frank Church? If you are thinking the November seasons, you might just look into a fly in hunt. Most of the animals have started to move down toward the river during those late hunts. I cant speak for 27 as much, but 20A and 26 have seen drastic, almost catastrophic declines in elk population over the last 20 years. Unfortunately, between the rifle rut tags that are OTC and the outfitters, that late bull hunt is awful poor. Pretty well all the bulls taken in those units are during the rut. Deer hunting is the same, with the seasons flipped. Not many deer shot early, and most of the decent deer are all shot with the unlimited controlled late tag. Trying to drive that far back and start you hunt that late would be a risk, and one big storm could really put the screws to a guy. If you are planning a Frank Church late hunt, I would say: plan on flying in, don't buy an elk tag, have a great deer hunt and bring a few wolf tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IDMW:

Thanks for the input. I love the thrill of the hunt, but I don't want to get in trouble either. I am backpack only. I was looking more at 27 because i sure couldnt see a good way into 26 and 20A. It looks like there is plenty of entry places into 27 and then just put a few miles in and give it a go. I couldn't tell if the branch tag requirements for 27 is because its a trophy area, or if they are trying to get the numbers back up. My brother bailed on me, so i am on my own this year.

I am moving a niece to SD second week of May. I get a couple days to hit my "top 2 or 3" and try to get a look before I have to put in for tags. My OCD makes me want to go to the craziest farthest place I can find, but i need to be smart about it.

This has been a huge help. thanks!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted in 27 a few times. Lots of wolves. As long as you look at it as a trip with a chance at an elk you are ok. Bull to cow ratio and cow calf ratio pretty down. Idaho fish and game has their elk objectives planning data up right now. Lots of good easily accessible information on their website. It is pretty cool country, one of my neighbors had to leave his truck and horse trailer in Big Creek in 26 because it got snowed in. He quit going after years and years because of the wolves. Maybe a little bounce back since wolf hunting allowed now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by RLJ View Post
    I have hunted in 27 a few times. Lots of wolves. As long as you look at it as a trip with a chance at an elk you are ok. Bull to cow ratio and cow calf ratio pretty down. Idaho fish and game has their elk objectives planning data up right now. Lots of good easily accessible information on their website. It is pretty cool country, one of my neighbors had to leave his truck and horse trailer in Big Creek in 26 because it got snowed in. He quit going after years and years because of the wolves. Maybe a little bounce back since wolf hunting allowed now.
    Thanks for the input.

I am definetely seeing a pattern in all the comments i have been getting. I talked with a family friend in Cambridge who put it same as you. I think my final decision on this area will be based on how many outfitters are likely to be in there with there extensive scouting crews(the guys you never see on those TV shows).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Toad,
    I'd follow up the same as others. There are probably better OTC areas in the state with easier access for a DIY hunt that's not too crowded to give it a go in ID, although mid-Sept elk in the Middle Fork zone always holds a promise of rutting bulls. Have not hunted it in 10+ years, but even back then the wolves had hammered it pretty hard. Does not sound like that situation has gotten any better either...
    If you are intent on hunting ID this year, make sure you put in for the better controlled hunts for both species. Your chances are as good as any one elses since there is no pp system. The better elk & deer hunts will not necessarily be in the same locale or during the same timeframe, but there are some top shelf hunts to be had if you can draw. Peruse the CH draw odds and harvest stats and go from there. PM me if you want my $0.02 on those better hunts.