Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

avoiding other hunters

It seems like it's getting harder to avoid hunting pressure. We packed 6 miles back into the middle of nowhere on horses and still had back pack hunters all over us any ideas on how to avoid some of this? Thinking of trying a new area but I hate to we are just getting this area figured out but it's getting old running a race to get to the elk before some fools decide to shoot 15 times at a coyote. What's the answer. it used to be 3 or 4 miles weeded out the Idiots but not anymore

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    It's getting harder and harder! I don't know if there is a answer. I would say its now about not getting away from the dumb asses its out hunting them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    It's getting harder and harder! I don't know if there is a answer. I would say its now about not getting away from the dumb asses its out hunting them.
    Probably. The key to place I hunt is I know where the deer are. Others don't so I already have the advantage. And when you see lots of roads don't think there isn't big bucks. I have found big bucks just on the otherside of the hill of the road.

Same for bulls also. Just about finding them.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯
    Last edited by velvetfvr; 04-07-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to get discouraged by other hunters but anymore I just try to use them to my advantage.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt in pretty rugged country, but for me, it seems like somewhere around the 7 mile mark. I am a backpack guy and so I try to avoid horse hunters, so I look for trails that are hard on horses or very difficult to maneuver. Also, if you really want to ditch them, get 5-7 miles in, and then get to a spot a minimum of 2-3 miles from that trail or any other trail. This will put you about 10 miles in total, but this one basically never fails. Most guys are too lazy to get too far from the trail after getting that far in. Steep rocky rims and cliffs also cut down on traffic. Alot of guys aren't comfortable navigating in really broken and rocky country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    also as mentioned above, some guys get caught up on going deep and walk right by animals. SOme great spots are a ridgeline over from a trial just a mile or two from the trailhead. Everyone walks right by these a lot of times.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm with humbletaxi on this one. I would rather know an area like the back of my hand (know bedding areas, escape routes, feeding areas) and use the other hunters in the area to my advantage than go to a place I am completely unfamiliar with. If you must get away from everyone then keep in mind that these "idiots" are the same as you. Not to many people go 4 miles from a road and are happy to see more hunters. Think about where you don't want to go because it is too difficult and go there. But who's to say if you go further into the abyss that you won't stumble on more hunters that say "what is this idiot doing in my hunting spot".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Like arrowslinger21, I have some spots that people go to far trying to get away from the other people, and the guys hunting from their trucks only go about a mile. If you can find that sweet spot in between sometimes it can hold more animals and less people.
    Shoot STR8

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's not the distance you go. It's how difficult it is to get there. I go where even horse can't get to.

I only see hunters at the beginning of my hike in. Never when I get there.

Riding a horse to an area is something anybody can do. You're going to have company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If there's people where you like to hunt, find a way to use them to your advantage. Or if you enjoy solitude, find another place to hunt even if the hunting is not as good.

People on horses annoy backpack hunters too. Their beasts of burden leave massive piles of crap spread out all over the trails. It's like walking through a minefield on some popular horse trails.

So I usually avoid trails and go where no horses can.