Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A lot of hunters don't really understand what still hunting is. Some of them really think it means a stand. I've even seen magazines describe it that way.

Taking one or two slow steps, and then standing completely still is where the name came from, and it's been called that since the 1800's.

I got this book for Christmas in 1950. I wore it out reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Still-Hunt.../dp/1146573421
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 04-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Old Hunter, you and I hunt a lot alike. 90% of my hunting is still hunting timber. When elk hunting I also rely on my nose, many times I've smelled them before I saw them. If you want to get away from hunters, hit the timber with plenty of steep ground dead fall.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    LOL..Yeah, it's easy to smell elk. I guess we smell as bad to them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Now, why in the world would I want to share my secrets about having the mountain to myself with everybody else... Seriously though, lots of great posts on this thread, I've enjoyed reading along. We've found that there are certain thresholds where you just leave people...X feet elevation above the trail, Y miles away from nearest trail when Z miles from trailhead. They are rules we've rarely seen fail. X, Y, and Z are proprietary information.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can tell from all the responses to this thread that having other hunters ruin your hunt is a soft spot. Other hunters can also help. the first elk I killed I got because another hunter told where they were at .but it seems every year that goes by I see more and more hunters and farther from the trail 3 miles used to do it but everyone is wise to going further now. New tactics are in order!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted in one of the more popular OTC units in CO and it took us a week to figure out how to get away from the people. The answer was off any main trail and steeper than you prefer.

The other rule of thumb I have is if you can google it, someone else already did and they'll be there opening day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Pete. We ride all day the first day & barely get our tent set-up before dark. The second day we finish setting up camp. We ride from camp to where we hunt everyday. The terrain is so rugged & vertical that we tie are mules up at the base of the mountain. I've got some mules that would follow me off into Hell & back. Some of the country we hunt they look at me like, you are on your own master! We'll be here if you make it back! Some of the areas we hunt, if you kill an elk. We gut it, saw legs, head & roll it into a ball (the best we can) & tie it up. We then shove it off the mountain. It will often slide 200 feet before it gets hung up. We just slide down the mountain unhanging it all the way to the bottom. Then lead our mules over & finish quartering & packing out. It's tough, after 5 days of hunting hard in this country you are absolutely beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    It's not the distance you go. It's how difficult it is to get there. I go where even horse can't get to.

I only see hunters at the beginning of my hike in. Never when I get there.

Riding a horse to an area is something anybody can do. You're going to have company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing to remember...If elk are living close to trailheads and high human activity, they are going to remain pretty quiet. Ive found elk that are close to trails, but had very little success with them responding positively to any calling.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Never in doubt, I will try and teach my horses and mule to only leave little piles of crap spread out all over the trails. But untill I teach them I will still use them and they may leave massive piles of crap spread out all over the trail. I'm sorry we annoy you!
    ha ha, thank you! I feel much better!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's an area I don't ever tell anybody about. If you like finding elk poop and rubs. You should like this. It was hard to walk without stepping on poop.