Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Reloading, reloading and more reloading!!!

Been spending lots of time reloading in the last few weeks. Being a competition shooter, I go thru lots of ammo, literally hundreds of rounds a week, depending on how much I practice between shoots. My big shoot season is coming and once I get started with outside work after irrigation season starts, I won't have as much time to reload. I loaded up 1000 pistol, 1000 rifle and 500 shotgun this weekend. Still need 3 or 4 times that much to get me started for the summer season.

I'll be shooting in the state match in Grand junction first week of June, the next week is my home club's annual Revenge of Montezuma shoot, then End of trail World Championship in Edgewood N.M and then Railhead in Williams Az. That gets me to July for Hell on Wheels in Cheyenne. Thinking about going to Texas for a couple of shoots after that.

All of my ammo is black powder so I reload it all.

Just thought I'd gripe a little I'll be getting in a little fishing here too. Then do some scouting as I am planning on drawing my sheep tag.......whpps there I go daydreaming again.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good luck on your shoot CC. I'm blown away how much you shoot. That is so awesome and I'd gather it makes you a very proficient shooter. I just got a RCBS reloading kit last week to start giving it a try but I don't think I'll be reloading at the level you are any time soon. Hope you do well in the meets ahead of you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks...I really enjoy it,especially when I can whoop ass on the young guys! Being retired, I get lots of time to practice, which really makes a difference. In the winter, besides shooting in an indoor Bullseye Pistol League, I have keys to our indoor range and can shoot no matter what the weather is like. I am also a certified pistol & rifle instructor and do a lot of coaching/teaching.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm impressed. You must be one heck of a shot! Loading is a great way to spend some time. Are you loading modern metallic cartridges too or black powder only. What press are you using?

I wouldn't be able to find the powder and primers up here to keep up with you.

Have a great season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    I'm impressed. You must be one heck of a shot! Loading is a great way to spend some time. Are you loading modern metallic cartridges too or black powder only. What press are you using?

I wouldn't be able to find the powder and primers up here to keep up with you.

Have a great season.
    I reload everything I shoot except the rimfire stuff. I have 2 shotgun tools (12 & 20 ga) and use an older Mec Sizemaster. I use an RCBS Turret tool for all my pistol stuff and an old RCBS single stage for rifle.

As far as supplies go, I have enough for my use for awhile. Pre Obama, you could get stuff. Several of my friends who shoot too, got together (there were 4 of us) and we arranged from a supplier to buy bulk primers....we bought 500,00 and split them up. Sounds like a lot, but I am down to about 50k. I also buy to replace when I find some at a good price. I was at the US Nationals and a mfgr had a black powder substitute that I shoot one sale for less than 1/2 price by the case, no shipping or hazmat. Bought 2 cases (#24), enough to last several years. Lots of mggrs/suppliers are at the major shoots and sometimes you can really save some $$$. When this stuff started getting a little hard to get, I just bought a lot more that I needed when I found what I needed. Buy in bulk when you can.

As far as being a good shot, I do OK, but the real thing is I have a lot of fun. Most of the time there are no real big przes, just a belt buckle, plaque or trophy. Thats why its so much fun, not a lot at stake, just my own satisfaction. And beating the youngsters........sometimes!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-08-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    C.C.

Good forward thinking on your part. I managed to get enough powder, pre-Obama, for me to out last his term.
    I may run low on primers. I've been reloading for about 40 years, mostly with RCBS and Dillon. I have one of those big Hornaday progressive presses gathering dust in the garage. I can't get it to feed primers consistently and it drives me nuts to have about 20% of the cartridges come through dumping powder out of the primer pocket.

I have to shoot pretty consistently to stay ahead of my son, he's getting to be a fine shooter.
    Last edited by AKaviator; 04-08-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do a little stockwork, buy/sell guns and have a mineral rights royalty each month. I keep a special checking account for all of these funds, don't co-mingle with our joint accounts. I try to keep enough $$$ in it to buy whenever I find a good buy on something...reloading, guns, etc. That way my wife can't really complain when I spend $$$ on my hobbies. Learned that a long time ago when we first got married.

We are having a local gun show at the end of the month and I have a table in it. Will try to sell 4 or 5 guns, a couple of reloaders and some misc stuff. Only $55.00 invested, so I should make out OK. Will look for any reloading stuff that might be there too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley