Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the input pack mule, but it's a pretty smooth set-up and has been pretty low stress. I only hire kids that grew up ranching or on a dairy to work for me, no business students or foreigners that have never seen a cow.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I was just thinking of the nutritional variables in there that are somewhat difficult to control on pasture.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile

I've did a little of everything in 47 years. I haven't made a lot of money, but my Dad told me early on, as long as I made enough to keep a roof over our heads and take care of the kids we would be fine. He was right again! I've been a farmer/orchardist, construction worker, truck driver, equipment operator, aluminum plant worker, mill-worker, fabricator, taxidermist, wildlife damage trapper and a fisheries tech.(some were night and weekend work) The last two jobs are hopefully my last as I've been a part-time damage trapper going on 20 yrs. and work in fish & wildlife for 12yrs now. They are both great jobs with flexible schedules and vacation time. I never have had much money, so I've learned to use my part-time trapping and side jobs to fund my hunts.

I still dream of being a part-time outdoor writer, but maybe when I retire!
    Last edited by gonhunting247; 03-07-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    Cattle grazing on pasture forages in comparison to feedlot Cattle. We're looking at the difference in weight in correlation to the Greenhouse Gas Emissions output. Very interesting project, my other studies have consisted of new varieties of Alfalfa, Birdsfoot Trefoil, Cicer Milkvetch and Meadow Brome as pasture forages in Organic Dairy settings and on small scale Beef operations.
    I have a masters in Agriculture, worked for two different Universities as an Extension Agent for 5 years. Now I raise cattle, do taxidermy work and help raise our daughter.

My wife also has a masters in Animal science but now works in health care...funny how things go.

Good luck with your research. We did a similar study here in the South on sulfur fall out from the coal plants and discovered a direct correlation between that and zinc deficiency. Now most of our feeds have a higher ppm of zinc to offset.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AT Hiker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    I was just thinking of the nutritional variables in there that are somewhat difficult to control on pasture.
    It's more balanced then one might think, We have grass/legume pasture mixtures and it's surprising what some of these mixtures yield in weight gain compared to a TMR diet. Are one blend is averaging 85% of what our feedlot cows are gaining. For a guy thats marketing pure pasture fed cattle thats a significant advantage to those that are selling grass only. Most are grass mixtures are in the 35-50% range, so roughly half of what were gaining on feedlot. I don't exactly know what meat prices are doing now but our one producer was averaging close to $20 per 100 lbs more on his mixture pasture cows than his closest competitor was getting on just grass pasture cows. The one legume we've got binds with proteins in the rumen and then they disassociate in the abomasum, cows are getting more proteins converted to muscle in a nutshell. Some of his cow's were gaining close to 3.75lbs per day, that's all I can divulge at this current moment.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    I have a masters in Agriculture, worked for two different Universities as an Extension Agent for 5 years. Now I raise cattle, do taxidermy work and help raise our daughter.

My wife also has a masters in Animal science but now works in health care...funny how things go.

Good luck with your research. We did a similar study here in the South on sulfur fall out from the coal plants and discovered a direct correlation between that and zinc deficiency. Now most of our feeds have a higher ppm of zinc to offset.
    That's pretty funny, I hope when I'm done with all this school stuff I can get a job working for an environmental consultant firm. Lots of variety with that kind of job and good pay.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    It's more balanced then one might think, We have grass/legume pasture mixtures and it's surprising what some of these mixtures yield in weight gain compared to a TMR diet. Are one blend is averaging 85% of what our feedlot cows are gaining. For a guy thats marketing pure pasture fed cattle thats a significant advantage to those that are selling grass only. Most are grass mixtures are in the 35-50% range, so roughly half of what were gaining on feedlot. I don't exactly know what meat prices are doing now but our one producer was averaging close to $20 per 100 lbs more on his mixture pasture cows than his closest competitor was getting on just grass pasture cows. The one legume we've got binds with proteins in the rumen and then they disassociate in the abomasum, cows are getting more proteins converted to muscle in a nutshell. Some of his cow's were gaining close to 3.75lbs per day, that's all I can divulge at this current moment.
    That's a pretty good gain. Our issue is soil acidity from all the pines. High beef prices are somewhat offset by all the lime & fertilizer that has to be administered to actually get the protein levels needed, then praying to the rain gods. End up buying a lot of 80/20 alfalfa/orchard grass mix out of Kentucky. The bulls get to live the cush life and get a nice diet of winter wheat, grazer & hairy vetch since they're easier to load and transport.

It's the same thing with our deer, never a shortage of browse for them but nutritional quality is often an issue. Steady summer rains will boost them a lot.

Wife did the same thing with school, went the AG dev/animal science route prepping to go into DVM school, ended up going to law school.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow there are a lot of different paths that people take to get through life. I finished high school messed around drinking beer and chasing girls for about four years which was fun and didn't need to much money then. Decided that wasn't going to work for ever joined the navy and cruised the world in a submarine couldn't see much. Got out joined the air guard and was driving truck still wasn't making much money. joined the volunteer fire department in town and eventually got hired full time that was 16 years ago. Still not rich but make enough to pay the bills and raise a family and most important lots of time off for hunting. The one thing that cops and fireman have in common is we all want to be fireman. Don't believe me see dearhunter3450 last comment its true. LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by IDELKFVR View Post
    Wow there are a lot of different paths that people take to get through life. I finished high school messed around drinking beer and chasing girls for about four years which was fun and didn't need to much money then. Decided that wasn't going to work for ever joined the navy and cruised the world in a submarine couldn't see much. Got out joined the air guard and was driving truck still wasn't making much money. joined the volunteer fire department in town and eventually got hired full time that was 16 years ago. Still not rich but make enough to pay the bills and raise a family and most important lots of time off for hunting. The one thing that cops and fireman have in common is we all want to be fireman. Don't believe me see dearhunter3450 last comment its true. LOL
    Its not my fault I took the wrong test! Just remember fireman need heroes too LOL!! Chasing girls and drinking beer was a lot of fun and a long time ago lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was a wrangler for a outfitter the past summer and fall before that i was in high school. But since the season ended i dont know what do. So i have been looking for ranching jobs the past few months but my end goal is to save up enough money to go to gunsmithing school without going into debt but almost every smith i talk to tells me done do it so that's discouraging if anyone has any suggestions that would be nice