Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Alligator hide slippage help

Any guys on here know at what temp or how easy is it for the skin to slip on a gator hide. I had 1 in the freezer from last year and my freezer went out. I'm not sure how long it's been out but all the meat will have to be thrown out because venison and beef blood ran down onto everything. The gator hide and head were on the bottom on one side with towels separating them from everything else. I would guess they were 40 degrees when I found them. They just smell fishy as they did when fresh. What's the chance that the skin is still good? I'm going to take it to the tannery tomorrow and see if they can salvage it. If not I'm just going to get the head skull mounted.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh and I just have them on ice right now. I just know how easy it is to ruin a deer cape even when it's cold. It has to be frozen or fleshed and salted.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that sucks man, wish i could tell ya something. getting an alligator is deff on my bucket list

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    that sucks man, wish i could tell ya something. getting an alligator is deff on my bucket list
    I've got some connections with a guy that guided for years down in Florida. Let me know if you start to plan something and I'll give you his info. It's residents only here in Alabama because they give so few tags.

It's my 2nd gator but it was bigger than the 1st one so I was hoping to get it soft tanned. Those skins are beautiful. I wasn't going to make anything out of it, just display it with the head. Oh well, hopefully I'll know tomorrow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Hate to year that. Let us know what you find out. Seems to me that if it were still cold it would be ok?? Good luck!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Gators are about indestructible when their alive, I kinda figured they'd be the same way dead.

That sucks about the freezer, there's not much worse that having a freezer go out, and not find out about it until way too late.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I lost all of my meat but....the hides were GOOD! He said there was no slippage or signs of "red heat" bacteria. In fact he said my hide was in better condition than most he gets in. Also the results for this year's drawing came out. I got drawn for the best hunt in the state for gators! Mobile-Tensaw Delta. There are some giants down there. Super stoked.

9. The Following User Says Congratulations to Alabama For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Nice, Congrats!! What are your season dates, can non residents hunt them? I kinda want to wack a gator, and turn him into some boots.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Nice, Congrats!! What are your season dates, can non residents hunt them? I kinda want to wack a gator, and turn him into some boots.
    Thanks Fink. Season is Aug 14-17 and 21-24. It's residents only here in Alabama. The best states for NR are South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.