Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Congratulations, sounds like a great move.

In just about a year I will be transitioning to a new job from 29 years in the same job. (E-9/USCG)
    For the first time in 29 years I likely will not be getting paid vacation , but I should have a heck of a lot less stress!!!!!! And there shouldn't be anyone to authorize my vacations.
    Bonus: I won't be packing up all my stuff and letting movers break it every 4 years
    Less stress would be hunting and collecting that pension!! Hate to wish life away but I'm looking forward to my twentieth!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A corrections oficer for PA here. Spent 4yrs in the army with 2nd ranger bat. on ft. lewis WA got out took the test and with 10 vet preference pionts scored very well on the test. Been a CO for 16 years. Big cons are prisons run 24-7-365 so be ready to work holidays and weekends mandatory overtime so because i get off at 2pm many times i'm lucky enough to have to stay till 10pm with a last minute notice. There is also that thing of having to deal with inmates not the best people in the world to put polically correct. Pros are since I started young I will retire at 50yo without penalty. I get 6 weeks vacation and 11 holidays (since i work them) the pay is good for pa but out cost of living is comparatively low to other places. There is a lot of over time so you can make as much money as you want to spend time in prison but they are not the safest places in the world to work and you need to desensetize yuorself from many things and never ever take your work home.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger3-94 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 1 Post
    Self employed here. A carpenter with a college degree. High end residential builder in one of those locations that keeps making all the "top city to..." Lists.
    I have ten great employees and no kids.
    My life revolves around my time spent afield.
    A lot of great advise all ready given by many here.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sell medical devices (implantables)- I really enjoy my work but like all jobs it has its stresses and negatives. I get 3-4 weeks off per year, isn't a ton but isn't horrible either.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Forgive me if this occupation was already posted but if you're looking for a rewarding job/career with ok benefits, vacation and time off-get certified to teach. I went all out and earned my doctorate to teach and do research at the college level but not necessary; you can work yourself into a community college by doing adjunct/part time. They are always looking for folks with real-world experience.

You get summers off to scout and fish, you get time off for fall (school, in general doesn't begin until right at archery season or even a little after but you still have slots to get out before things get crazy) and plenty of time between December and January for rifle hunts. Not too bad a deal...Good luck! I sincerely hope you find a nice niche to keep you going!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by micropterus79 View Post
    Forgive me if this occupation was already posted but if you're looking for a rewarding job/career with ok benefits, vacation and time off-get certified to teach. I went all out and earned my doctorate to teach and do research at the college level but not necessary; you can work yourself into a community college by doing adjunct/part time. They are always looking for folks with real-world experience.

You get summers off to scout and fish, you get time off for fall (school, in general doesn't begin until right at archery season or even a little after but you still have slots to get out before things get crazy) and plenty of time between December and January for rifle hunts. Not too bad a deal...Good luck! I sincerely hope you find a nice niche to keep you going!
    I thought your name was a tiny dinosaur, but I looked it up and it said largemouth bass. Is that right? That is some good advise. I might have to look into that. Its way better to work inside in the winter and have the summers off I would think.