Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What does everyone do for a living?

Well I'm getting to that age where I have to start making some decisions..so I need to choose a career. This is very hard for me since it needs to be able to afford my hunting habits and obviously have time for them. Some say I'm crazy for making this a priority. But it is, and always will be. So what do you diehards do for a living? I have been looking at being a lineman and working on power lines, but am not sure. I don't go on luxurious hunts and do mainly DIY and try to spend the least amount as possible. So I don't need to be a doctor or anything. So guys, what do you do?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Firefighter here. Would not do anytging else. Being mostly wildland august archery hunts were tough at first but once you put your time into the career its easy. And my twin is actually a lineman. Its harder for him to take time off than me but once you get set up into an apprenticeship or at least a steady job location you will be in it to win it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I work for a Cable Company and check for Unathorized Services.....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I own a Commercial Refrigeration, Heating and Air Co. I've been in the trade for just over 20 years. Since most of my hunting is from Sept on it haven't been to thought for me. Our work can be fairly seasonal with the fall and spring being our slow time. I've owned my company almost 6 years and it was very tough to get away at all but now with 6 employees with my lead guy very reliable it is very easy now. Look into the trades for sure with the economy on its way back up there should be plenty of work. Linemen make great money but I've heard jobs are a bit difficult to find without a lot of traveling.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm logging to get through school. Hard work and long hours but my boss lets me have whatever time off I want. I'm going to school to be a forester. Keeps me in the woods!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I work in agriculture research. It has its ups and downs, but the pay is pretty decent and I pretty good vacations. The only problem is that I'm planting during spring seasons and harvesting during October (on a usual year). That keeps me out of most rifle seasons, which is why I picked up the stick and string and haven't looked back. The company I work for is called Monsanto, but Pioneer and Syngenta are other companies that do the exact same thing I do. We have locations from California to New York and from Canada to Mexico and actually all over the world so you can move wherever you want as long as there is some agriculture. Not a bad gig that way.

My brother is a deputy for the Sheriff department in NW New Mexico and can typically take off a little easier around hunting season than I can, but he also has to dodge bullets and break up fights which doesn't interest me much. My opinion is that you find a career that you will enjoy. If you enjoy your career, you will work harder at it, move up, make a name for yourself, and as IKC pointed out... eventually you will get out easier. No matter where you start off, you will most likely be last in line to take vacation for a few years so just concentrate on the career and hunt when you can.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a retired truck driver. I made good money at it, and always had enough time off to go hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I manage people's investments for them for an annual fee (no commissions or product sales). I also do consulting on improving company retirement plans.

Working for myself means I have a lot of flexibility with my days off. Plus, when I travel out West to hunt, I take the opportunity to visit my western clients. That way I can write off my travel expenses. That's pretty hard to beat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Union construction hand. Sprinkler fitter. Pays good. But with any construction trade the job security fails to exist. Ive been playing the game going on 10 years now. Im only 26. Beat up and searching for my passion. Regardless of what you decide. Keep in mind this. Stay away from the rat race as long as possible. Ex. Car payments, mortgages and anything that makes you "have" to work more than you want. Its not how much you make its how much you spend. Most employers understand if you have a passion. And appreciate it. A happy employee is a productive employee. So dont be afraid to announce that at your interviews. Its never hurt me. Sometimes my employers will pay my season off because I bank hours and work hard enough to be appreciated. Which is nice because there has been a couple seasons that without the paid time off I would have to sit around and watch micheal waddel shoot whitetails out of a tree during hunting season. (Yuck!)
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a retired aerospace engineer/executive. Spent 40 years in the industry after college. Went to a major southern California University where I played football. Started on the Apollo, then the Saturn SII, on to the B1A, and finally the Space Shuttle. Left Rockwell after 18 years and went to Northrop. F18, F5G, B2 and a lot of "black" secret programs. Retired as manager of Production Endineering after 22 years there. Also spent 2 years in US Army after being drafted in 1963. Ft Sam Houston, Texas when I was in Special Services. Played football & baseball for the 4th Army teams.

I was able to do lots of hunting & fishing while I worked. Also owned (in partnership) a 100 space RV Park in Cabo San Lucas. Kept a boat there and did a lot of fishing and diving there. Retired 13 years ago and moved here to Colorado from Southern California. It was a great career and payed extremely well.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley