Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Outdoor Magazine Publisher-So, like Guy and Ike, I get to hunt and fish for a living. It doesn't suck if anyone wants to know.

I spent 8 years as a U.S. Marine and after that, became a mortgage banker. I just hated wearing a suit and tie all the time as well as being stuck in an office most of the time. The income afforded me the opportunity to go on lots of hunts, but I was unsuccessful because I didn't have time to scout the units out and I wasn't smart enough to hunt the same units year after year. Ten years ago, I walked away from the corporate world and have never looked back. I spend 180 days a year in the field scouting, hunting, fishing, and testing gear.
    The majority of folks that I run into in the field doing the same thing are firefighters and contractors. They seem to have tons of time to enjoy the outdoors.
    Good luck with your future.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you're frugal, sounds like being a contractor or firefighter is the way to go if you want to have time to be outdoors.

There are a lot of self-employed guys on here too. Plumbers seem to do really well, especially if you can get to the place where you have guys working for you. That's what is really great - having your own business and having guys you trust carry things on when you are away hunting.

First, you have to learn a trade. I went out on my own after six years working for other investment firms. I don't have anyone working for me but my business is pretty portable and doesn't suffer if I take a week off here and there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I farm and do some mechanic work and welding.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started out in aero-space with the Navy Department, Point Mugu, California - Headquarters, Pacific Missile Range. However, I made a life style choice and switched to Civil Engineering so that I could essentially live where ever I wanted. Got my degree from San Diego State and sent out applications to work for States of Alaska and Montana. Got offers from both. In July, 1965 my wife and I moved to Helena, Montana where we have lived ever since. I started out as a structural engineer with the Montana, Highway Department where I ended up getting involved with programming bridge design applications to run on the Department’s computer system. Eventually, I became the Administrator of Data Processing for the Highway Department and went on to run the Information Technology Division for the State of Montana for the duration of my career.

After living in Montana for a few years I started doing my own taxidermy work. As time went on I started doing work for other people and became well established as a part time taxidermist, working out of a shop in my basement. This part time business became full time when I eventually retired from the State. After 10-years of full time taxidermy work, I retired completely. Now days I take care of my wife’s horses, fish, hunt and only do taxidermy for myself and family. We live on 40-acres, about 15-miles outside Helena.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I moved to Alaska in 1975 with the Air Force. After the A.F. I spent 20+ years with Alaska Fish and Wildlife, retiring in 2002. I've since flown for a couple different aviation companies doing wildlife survey work and transporting hunters in and out of the field.
    I've spent a career working outdoors but always working when I should have been hunting. I was on a first name basis with some fabulous rams and bulls but seldom had the time to pursue them.
    Last edited by AKaviator; 04-22-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    im a dairy farmer, owner and operator.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nuclear Med Tech....AND President of Elk Mountain Gear

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow thanks for all the responses! Sorry I haven't been on the site to reply

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Multi-SpeciesHunter, you are a wise individual to ask for the opinion of such a wide variety of people. Very impressive group of hunters and outdoorsman. The best advice I can give you is work hard, and try to stay on top of the game financially. In the late 90's I was able to get a BS degree in a touch over 4 years, and walk away with a degree and no debt, and money in the bank. That might be hard to do nowadays, but I think it can still be done. Stay the course, and be prepared to make some sacrifices along the way. Make a goal and stick to it, and you will go far.

I am a Project Manager for a DOE site. I have been there for 14 years. The pay is good, and the benefits are good. I can't say that I love my job, but who really loves to work when they'd rather be hunting or fishing. The job has been good to me, as long as I work hard, treat people right, and have a good attitude. Never stop trying to better yourself from an education standpoint, it is a very competitive world out there. I am also a part-time taxidermist. Fun, but it can get it the way of hunting if your not careful. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I began my law enforcement career over 25 years ago as a game warden in the Golden State. When I discovered I couldn't take time off during the archery season to hunt for myself, I left the agency and lateraled to the second largest Sheriff's Department in the state (5000+ sworn). Been there a long time now and can take up to 12 weeks a year of vacation if I want, which allows quite a bit of archery hunting if desired. Game warden is nice and you're in the field daily, however your "busy" time of the year is when you want to be off as well.....something to think about for those aspiring game wardens.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer