Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Multi-species Hunter, I want to jump back in and put in a few extra cents.

If haven't already, go to school - college, trade school, whatever - now. I'm 38, I finally decided what I wanted to do when I grew up a few years ago and now I'm playing catch-up.

You may have exactly the experience that a manager/company wants or even needs, but, they (usually HR) want you to have a degree. Some places don't even care what the degree is in, they just want the degree and they will hire some kid off the street with a degree and no experience before they will hire you with no degree and years of experience.

It makes no sense to me and it drives me up a wall, but it's the way the world works now.

Now that I have a wife, a house, cars, a full-time job plus reserves and now a kid on the way, school is a real PITA. It eats into time for things like hunting and camping.

That said, if you get a degree, get a professional degree, i.e., engineering, chemistry, biology, etc, not one of the basket-weaving type of degrees that are handed out like candy now.

Basket weaving degrees might get you more pay at some places and into a managerial spot at others, but a professional degree will do all that plus open a lot of doors that a basket-weaving degree never will.

An alternative would be some type of trade, where you do an apprenticeship or a formal trade school.

Whatever you do, do it now so that you will have the free time later on.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Professional Animal Scientist - I work for a Feed company doing Sales, Formulations, Ingredient purchasing, Software implementation and support, Employee Management, and manage whatever crisis needs addressed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Journeyman Wiremen Ibew 176 Joliet Il. It has its ups n downs but a good career overall. Not as much travel n storm work like linemen, but when work is slow you do what you have to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm also a Journeyman Wireman Ibew local 177 Jacksonvill, Florida. Been living the last 20 years in Elko, Nevada and working as an electrician maintenance man in a Gold Mine. Good to see one of my brothers on here kesand72. fatrascal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am a VP at a bank. I work hard during the spring and summer and play hard in the fall and winter!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I have been in Law Enforcement since the age of 20 now 38 so 18 years already. Wow how time flies! I have worked for a few different depts. but just last year I finally landed a job with the US. Marshal Service (Desk Jockey) which I have always dreamed about and I am enjoying every minute of it. My first love is the outdoors and everything about it though.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I seem to be the only retired truck driver.

I feel so special.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm 54 and work as a machinist, the money is all right I suppose and I get 4 weeks of vacation a year. The best move I ever made though was staying in the Navy long enough to retire at age 38. The Navy check gives me the financial ability to hunt and fish as much as I want to.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    I'm 54 and work as a machinist, the money is all right I suppose and I get 4 weeks of vacation a year. The best move I ever made though was staying in the Navy long enough to retire at age 38. The Navy check gives me the financial ability to hunt and fish as much as I want to.
    Good move. Sure wish I had my head screwed on straight in my youth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a cattle rancher. Owner. Operator. We feed the wildlife for everyone to hunt.