Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Been working for the man in the insurance industry the past 23 years. Decent pay and a traditional pension are the only things keeping me around. Between waterfowl and big game, I hunt 60 - 70 days a year. Had to meet a few weeks ago with a recently promoted mid level manager. She wanted to know my short term goals. I advised to do the best job I can, exceed company goals and expectations in order to help me reach my long term goals. She sez what's yer long term goals. I said to retire in 5 years and get the heck out of insurance. She had that deer in the head light look. You could tell she was just out of mid level management brainwashing school and they hadn't taught her how to respond to those type of answers. Investing young is a huge part of the puzzle to long term happiness. Marrying a woman who makes more than you doesn't hurt either...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    Medical resident in internal medicine, done in June. Then I start fellowship in gastroenterology. It's been a long road, started med school in 2007. I'll finish fellowship in 2017 or 2018. I love my job and would never give it up but you have to get creative with your time. I shot my mn shotgun buck this year after climbing in the stand at 11am after a 30 hour overnight. I was tired but it was gun season and the rut was on. Basically the same story in Wisconsin.

My advice is do something you enjoy but never make any hobbies you're passionate about your job. Ask a guy who runs a fishing outfit if they go anywhere near the docks on their day off. They usually say no way. I chose something I liked that offered decent job and financial security with chance at retiring earlier in life and a flexible schedule later perhaps working less than "full time" but still make a living.

Great cross section of folks here. Lots of smart people with the engineers in ag, aerospace and other things. Takes lots of smarts and real world knowledge to do what most do on here.
    Best of luck to you, the field of medicine is no longer the grand dream of a glorious job that is rewarded not only by good deeds done but also monetarily. Now future MD's are worried about pay and bureaucracy...sad day in America for our health care providers.

PS...if i eat any more Mountain House chili macs I may have to give you a call!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 2 Posts
    I am a career firefighter/engineer for Salt Lake City Fire Department. I love my job and get the opportunity to hunt quite a bit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a wetlands biologist. I love to hunt, fish, and trap.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Years later I decided to work full time from home when I retired from the Navy so I started a business, goals were simple, work from home, no bosses, no employees, no time clock, no alarm and I needed to make just $50k on top of my enlisted retirement pay to live decently. Before I retired I was already making more than the Navy paid me and I never looked back. I made far more from it that ever expected or went after, to the point I was working to much and buying to many toys and found eventually it was too much stuff and became stressful. I was happiest when I had enough to have a nice home, a nice truck and trailer and a race car, that was plenty of money. Now really paring down and going full time RVing with a most wonderful wife and two big doggies, tweaked ST, life is incredible for me because I made it so, without trying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to robertpear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i am a maintenance worker at a national fish hatchery it is a great job and the leave is awesome for hunting!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As arachnids, face or follicle mites have 8 legs, although in the case of Demodex spp., their legs are decidedly stubby. While most mites are round or oval, face mites are long and thin, a body shape that enables them to move in and out of narrow hair follicles with ease. Face mites are tiny, measuring a mere fraction of a millimeter long. The follicle mite spends its life head-down in the follicle, gripping onto the hair or lash tightly with its feet. Strangely, face mites don’t have anuses, leading many entomologists to crack jokes about them being full of, er, feces.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been in the military for 13 years now. 30 days paid vacation a years. I'm home, I'm hunting!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MileHigh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettKoenecke View Post
    Attorney at law, going on 20 years now. For the first ten years I scratched and clawed to find places to hunt. Through luck and hard work and persistence, I've gotten to the place where I have some time to go hunting but not enough time to accept all the invitations I get from friends and clients.

I represent a number of power companies in the upper midwest. All of them are looking at their existing staff and seeing huge numbers of impending retirements. Meanwhile all of us got Christmas presents which use electricity. Use will continue to go up. Someone has to keep the lights on. Those are good jobs. If you have an interest, I know that there's opportunity out there.
    Same here for 25 years. Although I like to tell people that I am a hunter by trade, and practice law to feed that habit!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also an Attorney. I do contingent fee work, so I get paid on what I produce. That has the added benefit of producing a flexible schedule, as long as the work gets done and the results are there, I can take time reasoanble time when I need to or want to.

Not the same for everyone (my brother in law lives and dies by the billable hour and his 6am -10 pm work life is one I could never handle).