Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 51 Times in 6 Posts
    I've farmed for my father and uncles most my life on the side, I've been working on getting through college the last few years and was a truck driver for a local lumber yard while doing my undergrad in Range Management, had to leave that job to start my Masters in Plant Science. I should wrap that up this fall and who knows from there, PhD maybe?? but doubtful. It's never to late to go back to college, I started when I was 18 and quit then after being married for a few years I decided to start back up at 26 and will finish up just shy of my 31st birthday (Masters and all).

P.S. Pay for your school upfront, I've seen way to many colleagues that can't enjoy their lives after school cause of all the student loans they have!!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I've farmed for my father and uncles most my life on the side, I've been working on getting through college the last few years and was a truck driver for a local lumber yard while doing my undergrad in Range Management, had to leave that job to start my Masters in Plant Science. I should wrap that up this fall and who knows from there, PhD maybe?? but doubtful. It's never to late to go back to college, I started when I was 18 and quit then after being married for a few years I decided to start back up at 26 and will finish up just shy of my 31st birthday (Masters and all).

P.S. Pay for your school upfront, I've seen way to many colleagues that can't enjoy their lives after school cause of all the student loans they have!!
    Good for you. Stick with it!
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post

I agree completely! I'm in the same boat as you. I graduated in 2009 with my BS in biology and went to work in until 2013 when I started my MS in agronomy through Iowa State. Almost all of it is online, so that helps, but its still tough for sure! We are also paying for class each semester rather than getting a loan... much better long term that way. Good luck finishing up your MS! PM me if you would like to talk ag research companies/positions as I have been working in crop research since I was 14
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Union Commercial Carpenter.

Skipped the whole college skem of things and went straight to work. So far the decision seems to have been good to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Union Industrial Maintenance Mechanic. i have been at my trade for 18 years. 6 years with Bemis. couldn't ask for a better job and great people to work with. 3 to 11 shift allows me to hunt every morning if i want.

Sent via Crypto KG84 Algorithm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oil/Gas... In Singapore. Limits me to one hunt a year... But usually a pretty good one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am Management Consultant, and have been doing it for 20 years. Basically, I help large companies improve profitability. I make a decent income, but it stresses me out. My main creative energy goes towards figuring out how to do something different, but can't escape the cycle of mortgage, and cost of raising a family. No matter how you cut it you will spend most of your waking life working. Best to find something you love, and the hunting you will figure out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i keep reading this thread and i realized i havent added to it yet. i work as a psychiatric tech ata state hospital on weekends and during week i have a small lawn care buis, and some auto detailing aswell. during the fall i have mon -thur off works great for hunting and not being in the hills with weekend warriors.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Union construction hand. Sprinkler fitter. Pays good. But with any construction trade the job security fails to exist. Ive been playing the game going on 10 years now. Im only 26. Beat up and searching for my passion. Regardless of what you decide. Keep in mind this. Stay away from the rat race as long as possible. Ex. Car payments, mortgages and anything that makes you "have" to work more than you want. Its not how much you make its how much you spend. Most employers understand if you have a passion. And appreciate it. A happy employee is a productive employee. So dont be afraid to announce that at your interviews. Its never hurt me. Sometimes my employers will pay my season off because I bank hours and work hard enough to be appreciated. Which is nice because there has been a couple seasons that without the paid time off I would have to sit around and watch micheal waddel shoot whitetails out of a tree during hunting season. (Yuck!)
    Update! Hung up the hard hat. It was a killer transition but had to be done with the market here in my town. I applied and applied for a utility job and finally landed choice #1 back in December. I work for a natural gas utility company now as a service tech. The schedule is pretty interesting. You can work about 50 hours a week and give away all your on call shifts. Or scoop up the on call shifts and work as much o.t has your heart desires. This is the first time in my working career that I have "paid" vacations. Not just "hope to be paid". It's a very independent job. Log on to your laptop and leave the driveway about 6:45-7:00 am and the computer directs you from house to house managing customers needs. (Almost like a police officer, minus the adrenalin rush & guns) It's a 100% pace change from deadline orientated construction. I'm still trying to change my blow and go mentality. Liking it so far! Also still doing the solooutdoor.com side business. Keeps me busy.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 2 Posts
    My job is to save lives and make people breath!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Kabob For This Useful Post: