Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Muzzleloader sights

As many of you know, the rules and regs for muzzleloaders very for each state. When using a muzzy in CA or CO we can't use a scope. So I was wondering what type of open sights everyone is using? Fiber, peep or regular iron?

I recently bought a CVA MR and the front of the barrel is not tapped for the fiber sight I wanted to install. So I called CVA and they told me about the( http://www.seeallopensight.com). Has anyone had any experience with this sight? They say the sight is good to 100 yards. Should that be plenty for a open sight? I can't imagine trying to accurately place a shot any farther with open sights, What are your thoughts?
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Looks good to me,I plan to use one here in Idaho and Oregon hunts.good luck,Larry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Not sure what dad uses but he has open sights for sure. We set milk jugs out and he practiced shooting them. He is good to 150 with his sights (depending on wind). I don't think his have fiber optics or anything... just the stock iron sights. He has been practicing a lot lately so that helps too, but either way you will be limited on range with iron sights.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Fiber sights can have issues in various lighting, also they cover a huge portion of the target at 100 yards.

I've been shooting muzzleloaders for 30 years and have shot numerous sights. For the front sight I'd HIGHLY recommend a Patridge white line from XS Sights. You will need to determine the height you need, XS will send you plastic test sights to dial that in. This sight is available in 0.050" increments. Your aiming point will be at the top of the blade, therefore the sight is not covering your aiming point. The white line also defines a clear sharp aiming point. I only loose about 1" in my accuracy versus a scope at 100 yards.

For the rear use a Williams peep (my preference) or an XS ghost ring.

The See All looks interesting….I'd sure be interested if anyone has info on it.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 11-26-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0792.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	7205

Here is my setup and as you can see it worked great yesterday! The peep sight is a Williams WGRS with a .050 twilight aperture. The front sight is a Marbles 1/16'' gold bead. It came with fiber optic sights but I didnt like the rear fiber optic sight. I used the fiber optic bead with the peep sight 1 year. I liked it but it broke so I put the Marbles bead on it and I really like it. The shot I made yesterday was right at 100 yards. I killed an antelope this year with 1 shot at 155 yards with my 1894 Winchester with a Marbles peep sight and it was probably the best placed shot I have ever made. I am very confident shooting to 200 yards with good peep sights. Im sure you could get your barrel tapped to put a bead on it. I never seen the sight you are looking at and Im not sure if it would be legal in some states?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I am running a Williams peep and Williams firesight front sight on mine. BUT when xs gets around to making more posts I will be swapping out to the same setup umpquahunter is running. I've had it ordered for a while now but they are out of stock and not a hot seller. I truly believe it's one of the best setups out there. Like umpquahunter said, the fiber optic up front is just too big for me as well. I shoot out to 200 with it but it covers a pie plate up at that distance and some.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0792.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	7205

Here is my setup and as you can see it worked great yesterday! The peep sight is a Williams WGRS with a .050 twilight aperture. The front sight is a Marbles 1/16'' gold bead. It came with fiber optic sights but I didnt like the rear fiber optic sight. I used the fiber optic bead with the peep sight 1 year. I liked it but it broke so I put the Marbles bead on it and I really like it. The shot I made yesterday was right at 100 yards. I killed an antelope this year with 1 shot at 155 yards with my 1894 Winchester with a Marbles peep sight and it was probably the best placed shot I have ever made. I am very confident shooting to 200 yards with good peep sights. Im sure you could get your barrel tapped to put a bead on it. I never seen the sight you are looking at and Im not sure if it would be legal in some states?
    MM good shot!
    -NRA Life Member

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Muleys 24/7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks to all who replied. Some good points and opinions. Maybe I should consider getting the front of my barrel tapped to put some type of bead or front sight on. The CVA accrua MR I bought has a shorter barrel than the normal, because it was designed for light weight. If I were to get the barrel tapped, would it make a difference with the distance between front and back sights?
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think I understand why CVA doesn't tap the front of the barrel and said to use the seeallsight. The type of stock on the CVA MR will not let my cheek get low enough to use regular style open sights.....I might need to return it and get the accura v2 instead.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Return it and get a Knight! LOL From what I know muzzle loaders preform better with a longer barrel. Mine has a 26'' barrel. I got my disc extreme when they first came out and it has been great but honestly I have never shot any other muzzle loader so I really have nothing to compare it too. My set up is accurate and reliable and I just got the western conversion kit for it so I can make it legal in any state. What more could I want