Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 1 Post

What packs are you using??

Just curious what everyones opinion is or what they use when they backpack in for a pack?? Do you hunt with your frame pack?? Do you take an extra pack to hunt with?? Kinda torn between wanting to be able to hunt lightweight with a small back or having a pack big enough to take a small load with after a kill but I don't want to have to carry my frame pack all day. What do you use??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Kifaru timberline. I pack in. Unload at camp. use it as a day pack. Hopefully fill it full of meat. pick up camp and head back to the truck easy as pie

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I currently use a eberlestocks X2 and blue widow but in the process of upgrading to a kifaru duplex timberline 1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_hornhunter View Post
    I currently use a eberlestocks X2 and blue widow but in the process of upgrading to a kifaru duplex timberline 1
    How do you like the blue widow?
    What do you like about it and what didn't you like about it?
    Why are you changing to the Kifaru?
    I'm just trying to get everyone's opinion on various packs. I went with the kuiu ultra 6000 last year it works pretty good but like the eberlestock better even though it is 4lbs heavier.
    Last edited by bigrack; 11-01-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by cali_hornhunter View Post
    How do you like the blue widow?
    What do you like about it and what didn't you like about it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've had my Eberlestock Blue Widow for about 4 years now and wear it at all times while elk or deer hunting. It's my only pack right now. I don't have a ton of experience with other packs, so take this with a grain of salt, but I love this pack and would highly recommend. It is extremely versatile for pack in, pack out, day trip, heavy loads, light loads, etc. It's very nice being able to day-trip in tight with less bulk and then expand and pack out with an entire deer. So far, I've found the quality to be excellent and my only negative would be that it is just slightly more heavy than some others. For everything this pack does for me, I'm willing to sacrifice that. Sons are joining me now on hunts so going forward I'll be adding an Eberlestock F1 mainframe and X1 or X2 or another Blue Widow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 9 Posts
    I use a badlands super day for day hunts and the Cabelas Alaskan frame and pack for my pack in hunts. Works well and the frame is very comfortable. Sometimes I will take the day pack and strap it to the frame for day hunts or one overnight hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I use a badlands super day for day hunts and the Cabelas Alaskan frame and pack for my pack in hunts. Works well and the frame is very comfortable. Sometimes I will take the day pack and strap it to the frame for day hunts or one overnight hunt.
    This is my current method. I am such a creature of habit, i have not found anything to hunt day to day that compares to my "wilderness pack specialties" daypack that I have had for about 15 years. I also have the same frame pack that i have had for over 25 years.

I know the frame packs can be noisy. Do you ever strap the daypack on to the frame pack and take them on your day hunts while leaving the base camp stuff on top of a ridge a few miles away? I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to put a buck down at dark, and have to hike all the way back to get a pack. I just have a hard time parting with the money for an "all-in" pack unless I am committed to carrying it all day. completely undecided!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    This is my current method. I am such a creature of habit, i have not found anything to hunt day to day that compares to my "wilderness pack specialties" daypack that I have had for about 15 years. I also have the same frame pack that i have had for over 25 years.

I know the frame packs can be noisy. Do you ever strap the daypack on to the frame pack and take them on your day hunts while leaving the base camp stuff on top of a ridge a few miles away? I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to put a buck down at dark, and have to hike all the way back to get a pack. I just have a hard time parting with the money for an "all-in" pack unless I am committed to carrying it all day. completely undecided!!
    Thought I would follow up on this:
    I ended up getting the Stone Glacier Solo(3300 capacity). I got the gun sling and the meat bag. Total weight still under 4#. I like the SG because he has a simple 2" belt that is similar to my old daypack. I load up the belt with shooting sticks, knife, ammo, range finder,.......I picked up a pair of "hump" bags from a recommendation on another post. The intent for me is to use the hump bags to carry bulk food and water to get in. These mount on the bag toward the front instead of on the back like many other add on bags. This keeps the weight forward. By having these bags mounting loose, it also allows me to mount them all the way forward even with the shelf expanded. All of this with the idea to keep as much weight forward as possible. As I thin down throughout the hunt, these can be rolled up and stuffed in the Solo bag.

I have also experimented with StatPack hip bags. I have always been interested in this concept. The only ones I ever saw years ago came with a dedicated belt, which doesn't work with other packs. These bags are quick on and off, super light, and the volume is pretty impressive. They use elastic straps on the legs, and i have tested these for quite a few miles without any discomfort. I am not quite dedicated to these yet, because they block access to the hip pockets on my pants. The idea with these was to have something that can be easy access to water and snacks without taking off the main pack.
    http://www.theemsstore.com/store/pro...cal-Leg-Pouch/

As you can see, I brain$%%^ everything. I just wanted to share on my latest ongoings.