Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    I bought an Eberlestock Blue Widow just for this reason, I can unzip the panel, haul all of my gear in and when I get camp set up I can zip it back together and have a day pack too.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can afford some of these packs mentioned above ;-) so I also use an Eberlestock Blue Widow. Really like the unzipping to expand as I haul camp in, dropping camp, and then zipping back up into a compressed day mode. I also really like the quick release bow bucket as well, sure saves the arms on long hikes and I know if i bump something I can get it off my back and to full draw in 10 seconds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adjusting pack.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	5425
    LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been happy with my Eberlestock J107. It has the same features as the Blue widow, but the gun version. If you want to go super light not to far away from your spike camp, you can turn the top into a fanny pack. The pack is a few pounds more than the super light packs but very versatile. If your in good shape the pack will be no problem. Great value.
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 04-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 27 Times in 4 Posts
    Oh ya, and if you decide on a Eberlestock, Linton outdoors has them, got mine at the ISE show from them.
    Shoot STR8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RUTTIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I use a Badlands hypervent for day trips and a golite pack for long hunts in the wilderness. I just ordered a new Badlands Ox for extended stay hunts. I am excited as this should be a big upgrade to my gear.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I have a horn hunter mainbeam. I really like the pack for day trips and it can haul meat out for a first trip back to the truck or camp to get a frame pack. For my frame back I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame. No complaints with it, but I have only hauled out two mule deer with it. One pack out was right around 100 pounds which just about killed my legs, but it rode about as comfortably as 100 pounds can. the second I didn't have to pack very far so I made two trips. Not sure on the weight of those trips, but it was substantially light. I don't really have any complaints about any of my packs.

My dad uses Eberlestock packs, but I don't remember which ones he has. They look like great packs and look like they offer a little more adjustability than my Horn Hunter pack. We do mostly day trips since most of the ground we hunt here in South Dakota is walk in only and no camping is allowed so we cover some ground with those packs.

I have had my Horn Hunter for 3 hunting seasons now (this will be the fourth), I've had the Alaskan Frame for 2 years now, dad has had his Eberlestock packs for 2 years now as well. We both tried on all of the packs before purchasing them... even had the sales associate push down on the pack to simulate a load. We just ended up buying what was in our price range and what rode comfortably for our body size and type. My next day pack I think I may look at an Eberlestock because of the extra adjustments.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I ordered mine through Linton outdoors as well. Good prices and service.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Muleys 24/7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Old school - I have a modified large ALICE pack and a smaller pack from a company called London Bridge Trading that mounts on an ALICE frame. Both have a pad system, it has pockets for two camelbacks and other stuff and makes a world of difference in the comfort.

I'm not a fan of internal packs, I don't like the way they ride and carry weight.

I'm debating whether to just carry the larger ALICE or use the smaller ALICE w/ a couple of hitchhikers with my tent, sleeping, bag pad, etc.

Carrying 2+ packs makes the initial weight a bit higher, but it means I can drop camp somewhere and take a lighter and smaller pack to beat the bush with.

I thought I had decided on the large ALICE just because it would be easier, but now I'm reconsidering, thanks KJW...just kidding
    Last edited by JMSZ; 04-14-2013 at 01:10 AM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Kifaru Duplex Timberline 3 for scouting snd short trips. DT 1 for longer excursions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tenzing 6000. Very comfortable.