Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    This is my current method. I am such a creature of habit, i have not found anything to hunt day to day that compares to my "wilderness pack specialties" daypack that I have had for about 15 years. I also have the same frame pack that i have had for over 25 years.

I know the frame packs can be noisy. Do you ever strap the daypack on to the frame pack and take them on your day hunts while leaving the base camp stuff on top of a ridge a few miles away? I can understand why somebody wouldn't want to put a buck down at dark, and have to hike all the way back to get a pack. I just have a hard time parting with the money for an "all-in" pack unless I am committed to carrying it all day. completely undecided!!
    Thought I would follow up on this:
    I ended up getting the Stone Glacier Solo(3300 capacity). I got the gun sling and the meat bag. Total weight still under 4#. I like the SG because he has a simple 2" belt that is similar to my old daypack. I load up the belt with shooting sticks, knife, ammo, range finder,.......I picked up a pair of "hump" bags from a recommendation on another post. The intent for me is to use the hump bags to carry bulk food and water to get in. These mount on the bag toward the front instead of on the back like many other add on bags. This keeps the weight forward. By having these bags mounting loose, it also allows me to mount them all the way forward even with the shelf expanded. All of this with the idea to keep as much weight forward as possible. As I thin down throughout the hunt, these can be rolled up and stuffed in the Solo bag.

I have also experimented with StatPack hip bags. I have always been interested in this concept. The only ones I ever saw years ago came with a dedicated belt, which doesn't work with other packs. These bags are quick on and off, super light, and the volume is pretty impressive. They use elastic straps on the legs, and i have tested these for quite a few miles without any discomfort. I am not quite dedicated to these yet, because they block access to the hip pockets on my pants. The idea with these was to have something that can be easy access to water and snacks without taking off the main pack.
    http://www.theemsstore.com/store/pro...cal-Leg-Pouch/

As you can see, I brain$%%^ everything. I just wanted to share on my latest ongoings.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't have a lot of experience hunting in the west,2 backcountry elk hunts in Idaho and a turkey hunt in the black hills. I use a bull pac frame with my badlands 2200 and the rest of my gear tied on until we get to our spike camp,and then use the 2200 for day hunts. I am really happy with both packs. I have 6 points for deer and elk in Wyoming so I am heading there soon, just havnt decided where to go yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lookinforwater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    KUIU Icon 7200.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the Tenzing TZ6000 and the wife used Blacks Creek Barbarain

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Eberlestock J34 when I want the room or meat packing ability, Eberlestock X1A1 for day hunts or when I want a little smaller pack, Camelback Stryker when I am going real minimal chasing my buddy who is in better shape than me. He lives at high altitude, I only visit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've got the Kifaru bikini timberline 2. Great pack and I hardly even know I've got a load on, and compresses down to daypack mode quite nicely.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    uhh... a backpacking backpack. Osprey, Kelty, REI. WAY cheaper than the over priced hunting packs (Estock, Kifaru, etc). Currently use a Osprey Argos 85 with homemade felt cover. Quiet and carries more weight than I could physically handle (120lbs+). Decades of research and engineering went into some of these companies, why count them out because they don't come in a fancy camo pattern?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by weigand View Post
    uhh... a backpacking backpack. Osprey, Kelty, REI. WAY cheaper than the over priced hunting packs (Estock, Kifaru, etc). Currently use a Osprey Argos 85 with homemade felt cover. Quiet and carries more weight than I could physically handle (120lbs+). Decades of research and engineering went into some of these companies, why count them out because they don't come in a fancy camo pattern?
    Camo has nothing to do with the "overpriced packs" your talking about. If I had to pick between an rei pack and an eberlestock I would choose an rei one every time. That being said Kifaru is in a whole other league. Kifaru packs are designed to carry camp and meat out. Most backpacking packs are designed to carry camp in and camp out. Their suspensions are not designed for 100+ pounds. Will the do it? Some of them are capable just not their intended use. I would prefer to spend an extra couple hundred bucks to get a product that I am going to use for its intended use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by weigand View Post
    I would say the #1 thing with the high end hunting packs is the ability to separate the meat from the gear with a load shelf. You can get the same type of thing with a quality cabelas pack frame and a day hunting pack like badlands, it just adds a few pounds. FWIW I have a SG pack, and it is not even offered in camo. If a heavy duty backpacking assembly was built with batwings that allowed meat to strapped directly to the frame, that would be something worth looking into.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tttoadman View Post
    I would say the #1 thing with the high end hunting packs is the ability to separate the meat from the gear with a load shelf. You can get the same type of thing with a quality cabelas pack frame and a day hunting pack like badlands, it just adds a few pounds. FWIW I have a SG pack, and it is not even offered in camo. If a heavy duty backpacking assembly was built with batwings that allowed meat to strapped directly to the frame, that would be something worth looking into.
    Kifaru nomad or emr 2. The emr 2 has a bag against the frame and is bigger when fully expanded . The nomad doesn't have a bag against the frame.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk