Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Updated best all round pack on market?????.

Hi guys, a lot of these posts r as old as 2 years. I'm sure there are some new packs on the market now and updated versions of the paks talked about. I am looking for a pack that will function well as a day pack as well as being able to carry my rifle on long hikes into the hills. Would also like to be able to pack my meat out with is pack. Am looking for a comfortable pack I can wear all day. Also would like the option of being able to haul my gear into back woods for 4-7 day hunts. But be able to compress pack down once camp is set up for a functional day pack that can haul my water, rain gear, and changes of clothing as the weather changes in the mtns of BC where i live. And haul my rifle on day hunts as well. I am a tall guy and have been discouraged by reading some of these reviews. I am 6'2" and 225lb with 36" waist.
    I thought I was sold on the Eberlestock J34 till I read that it was not good for taller people. Then I thought I wanted the Blue Widow by the same company. Until I read that bladders for water go into the side walls making for and unbalanced ride (what a terrible spot). Bladders should be close to the frame in my opinion. Also considered the Dragonfly j107. But read that it is hard to take advantage of the load adjustment straps close the shoulders designed to put the load more on your hips than shoulders when u already have the shoulder straps as high as they will go on the frame. Spent last 2 days researching bags. And now I am leaning towards the Mystery Ranch CrewCab but read how someone complained about being too tall for it. Or one of the Kuiu bags. Does anyone who is my size own and love any of these bags listed above? Also have looked at the Badlands OX pak but seems to load and clunky....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Check out kifaru packs as well as stone glacier.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Do they make a pack that u can haul your meat out between the frame and the pack? Looked at review for one kifaru and buddy was loading all the meat into his pack....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just looking at stone glacier. They look good

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crown backcountry View Post
    Do they make a pack that u can haul your meat out between the frame and the pack? Looked at review for one kifaru and buddy was loading all the meat into his pack....
    With the bikini frame/highcamp yes you can however putting it inside the bag is just as good of an option if not better some argue.

The accessory you would end up getting would be the heavy load out kit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Stone Glacier integrated meat shelf is very funtional.

The Kifaru Heavy Load out kit works fine also, but I prefer the Generation 2 hanging meat bag with the Kifaru.

These are the two best packs on the market, IMO.

The MR Metcalf might be up there too, but I haven't seen it myself. the other MR NICE packs like the 6500 are comfortable, capable, durable packs, but pounds heavier than the SG and Kifaru bags.

Kuiu makes a great pack as well, but I put it behind the SG and Kifaru. Some will prefer its high levels of organization though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitterfoot What's your favourite Kifaru pack?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Been on the Kifaru site and their paks look good. Like how every one is custom fit. Interested to hear from people who own and their pro's and cons. For kifaru is the hanging meat bag a separate pak. Or can u use it with the frame from their packs? Also same question about the heavy load out kit. Also how do they like the rifle attachment?
    Been on the Stone Glacier site. Their packs look pretty good. Does anyone own one and have any experience with them? How do they hold up on the mountain? They shoulder straps are adjustable by Velcro. Does this break down over time? Seems kind of hoaky. Interested in hearing from someone with experience with their paks. Also how do they like the rifle attachment? pro's and cons as well for this company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't have either of theses packs but have been doing a lot of research like you. The best resource I have found for that has been rokslide.com. There are many posts on various packs, especially Kifaru, as well as videos. Currently there is a comparison video of Stone Glacier and Kifaru being done by Bitterroot Bulls. Take a look.

Dave

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Forget about Eberlestock and keep looking at the Mystery Ranch line-up. You mentioned the Crew Cab; that would be a great choice for what you're wanting. I don't know who brought up the height issue but you would not be too tall for it.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13