Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsmallfield View Post
    Not quite, but still in high school... Sorry Umpqua I had to.
    Ha ha SJ...that's okay. I am kinda getting used to being one of the "older" guys...though I'm still in my 40's...just barely.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    Lostriver....your goal of a 36" ram is very doable and a lot of outfitters can do that.

If you want to save some $ and you are flexible at all, consider doing your homework and identify about 5 to 10 outfitters you would be willing to hunt with and let them know you'd be willing to hunt sheep on a....say....4-6 week notice. A lot of outfitters get cancellations and already have a deposit on the hunt. To sell those hunts they often take them to consultants who they have to pay a cut to. I think that could be a way to save some money if that's important to you. On the other hand being able to look forward to the hunt, train and prepare is part of the whole experience.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I saw the writing on the wall and booked my stone in 1995, and I am glad I did.....but some of you were probably still in diapers back then....lol
    Booked my stone hunt in 1973! $1750 for a 14-day, horseback hunt. I'm sure some of you were in diapers or maybe only a gleam in your father's eyes. FYI - It was just as hard to justify paying that amount of money (seemed huge at the time) back then as it is to spend $17,500 on a hunt today.

If I was looking for a good quality dall hunt today for as low a cost as possible, I would give Atchenson's - Hunting Consultants, in Butte, Montana a call. Discuss your financial situation and perhaps get on their cancellation list.

Here is a picture of my 10-year old stone ram taken near Muncho Lake, B.C. in September, 1973. I am very happy I bit the bullet and paid the price back then.

Last edited by mt-mike; 04-14-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very help full guys, Yes I'm trying to get one before they keep going up and my kids start getting more expensive. I like the idea of the cancellation hunt, but might mess up future hunts as I am planning different hunts for a different species each year for a while, or at least trying too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mt-mike View Post
    Booked my stone hunt in 1973! $1750 for a 14-day, horseback hunt. I'm sure some of you were in diapers or maybe only a gleam in your father's eyes. FYI - It was just as hard to justify paying that amount of money (seemed huge at the time) back then as it is to spend $17,500 on a hunt today.

If I was looking for a good quality dall hunt today for as low a cost as possible, I would give Atchenson's - Hunting Consultants, in Butte, Montana a call. Discuss your financial situation and perhaps get on their cancellation list.

Here is a picture of my 10-year old stone ram taken near Muncho Lake, B.C. in September, 1973. I am very happy I bit the bullet and paid the price back then.

If there is anything on this forum that fires me up it is high quality photos. Priceless photo. If I was guaranteed a photo like this at the end of my trip I would pay 17k

AMAZING pic. Congrats.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes sir, that one hell of a photo !!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would not recommend Atcheson's for sheep hunts in AK. The only bad sheep hunt I had was booked through Atchesons, and they were no help. Claimed they knew the outfitter was having problems, and others had complained also, but they dropped him after my hunt. Lot of good that did me. Beware.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Mt-Mike: That has got to be one of the best sheep photos I've ever seen. Totally awesome.

Seriously though, how did you kill him without any Sitka or KUIU gear?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Mt-Mike: That has got to be one of the best sheep photos I've ever seen. Totally awesome.
    Seriously though, how did you kill him without any Sitka or KUIU gear?
    LOL!!! I was thinking the same thing! The real western guys Git R Done in blue jeans and an old coat I guess! Love it...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i booked with mont at huntdallsheep.com for 2014. He is a little more expensive but his success and size of sheep are a plus. Plus he has an opening in the small window that to hunt. I've checked with lots of outfitters and most are already booked for next 2 years. Max Schwab is the cheapest I've found and I have talked to him and his guides alot. He and his staff were quickly to answer all my questions. He is booked through 2014. If you are looking to go soon you better book something soon. the best advice is to call and ask questions and see what fits your budget and time schedule. Good luck