Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Montana Bridger Buck tag

Myself and 3 friends drew a Bridger Mountain (HD 312) buck permit. Have not hunted around Bozeman since college about 12 years ago. Wondering if anybody on the forum has some advice. Planning on hunting elk in a different area during archery. Then scouting and hunting the Bridgers during the last part of archery and into rifle. Longtime EHJ subscriber and just have never really used the forum so I thought I could check it out. Any advice especially on where and when to hunt the Bridgers would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by MT Eric; 08-26-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...ome-guidelines

I haven't hunted Montana yet, but best of luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tdub24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Eric - I grew up in the foothills of the Bridgers on the west side. I spent my childhood in there and have hunted in there in every direction. In the distant past, we killed some big mule deer but it is getting more difficult each year. I have only hunted it for myself one time since it has been a draw unit - killed a solid buck but not a whopper. That being said, I have hunted with 10 or so tag holders in the past 5 years. The end result has been similar - each hunter killing a buck between 160 and 180. There are a few basics for the Bridgers....First, archery and early rifle hunts (pre-rut and pre-heavy snowfall), the east side is significantly better. Second, don't get caught up "wishing" for the visible lowland (private and agriculture) bucks from the west side to make their way to public ground because it does not happen. Third, it is tempting to stick to the open country but the timber holds the majority of the deer. Good Luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MTnsheds For This Useful Post: