Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightweight Tripod for Razor HD 16-48x65 Spotter

I'm in the process of getting a Vortex Razor 16-48x65 spotting scope and want to upgrade my tripod.

I usually hunt 1-5 miles off the road so weight is an issue. Budget is $100 - $250, including the head. I'm leaning toward a pan head, not sure about twist lock vs. levers.

I'm looking at the Velbon Luxi L II or Maxi L. I've seen others on this site mention Vortex High Country, Gitzo and Slik.
    Last edited by hoshour; 04-16-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any thoughts on which tripod would be best for my spotter?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got a vanguard alta carbon fibre one off cammofire I like quite a bit so far.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have that exact spotting scope. I have the Promaster 525 Carbon fiber tripod with the Promaster 6160. Since I just received my spotting scope, I have not had a chance to hunt with it, but it is a very stable tripod and a smooth pan head. I have had it out a few times checking it out. The tripod packs down to under 15" and weighs about 2.25#. The tripod with the head attached packs down to under 17". The head is about 17 oz. Bought all three from Camera Land. The tripod retails for about $300, but you can watch ebay and find a new one for under $250. The 6160 pan head will retail for about $45. This is the only tripod setup I have ever had, but for the price I am not sure how it can be beat. The tripod with the pan head will fit perfectly in a side pocket of an Eberlestock J34 pack, FYI. I recommend checking out this setup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the Vanguard MAK 233OS which is a window mount and tripod all in one. I think it weighs in around 3.31lbs, but I haven't had a problem with packing it around in my KUIU Icon 6000 bag. I am thinking it would be nice for something else that is less than 2lbs for longer backpacking trips. Do majority of you folks use a pan head or a pistol grip head, and why???

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    I have the Vanguard MAK 233OS which is a window mount and tripod all in one. I think it weighs in around 3.31lbs, but I haven't had a problem with packing it around in my KUIU Icon 6000 bag. I am thinking it would be nice for something else that is less than 2lbs for longer backpacking trips. Do majority of you folks use a pan head or a pistol grip head, and why???
    Check out the vanguard alta 233 ao or the 253 ct. I upgraded from your tripod to the alta and finally to a manfrotto.

I prefer a pan head over ball or pistol grips because I like to pan slowly on initial grid. The pistol grip just seems like too much unnecessary muscle movements to achieve the same thing.

I am in the market for a small backpacking tripod with ball head though because they seem lighter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are three that I would look at: Vortex Summit SS, Vortex Summit XLT, or the Manfrotto Compact Series Tripod MKC3-H01. Retail will vary but MSRP on the Summit is $179, only weighs in at 1.8 lbs. collapsed it is 14" and extends to 54" with twist lock legs-makes it more compact with a ball head. The Summit XLT MSRP is $329, weighs 3.6 lbs. collapses to 18" and extends to 64", same legs and head as the SS but thicker body. The Bogan Manfrotto is the cheapest retailing at $60, head is a plastic movie/photo head but I like how it operates. Weighs 2.5 lbs. collapses to 17" and extends to 60" with locking legs. Extended height on these is with the center column (neck) extended, which isn't ideal. I don't think of a packing tripod as being very tall so for me it isn't that big of a concern but we all hunt different.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    the Summit is $179, only weighs in at 1.8 lbs. collapsed it is 14" and extends to 54" with twist lock legs-makes it more compact with a ball head.
    At 1.8 lbs., is the Summit SS too light to be steady in a wind?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any thoughts on ball vs pan head?

I know the ball is lighter, but for spotting using a grid system I wonder if it is more of a hassle than the pan head.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    I have that exact spotting scope. I have the Promaster 525 Carbon fiber tripod with the Promaster 6160. Since I just received my spotting scope, I have not had a chance to hunt with it, but it is a very stable tripod and a smooth pan head. I have had it out a few times checking it out. The tripod packs down to under 15" and weighs about 2.25#. The tripod with the head attached packs down to under 17". The head is about 17 oz. Bought all three from Camera Land. The tripod retails for about $300, but you can watch ebay and find a new one for under $250. The 6160 pan head will retail for about $45. This is the only tripod setup I have ever had, but for the price I am not sure how it can be beat. The tripod with the pan head will fit perfectly in a side pocket of an Eberlestock J34 pack, FYI. I recommend checking out this setup.
    I have the same tripod, head, and pack. I also like them all very well.