Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Pig Hunting in the high desert

I live north of Mojave (Inyokern), I've heard some people talking about pig hunting down by Tehachapi, anybody here know of any public areas or private areas where they won't charge you an arm and a leg?

I was looking at coastal range areas, but it seems most of those are on private property and they are charging $600+ for a guided hunting trip. Gas, food and lodging alone would cost me $600+, so that's too rich for me.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 61 Times in 8 Posts
    I've been looking for a new pig hunting area too. We used to pay $500 including room and board and we could kill as many pigs as we wanted. The ranch mgr is no longer at that ranch so we can't go there anymore. Good luck. There is a few outfits in the Red Bluff Ca area I'm looking into.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I too have wanted to hunt pigs in California but on a budget also so if u find anyone in the 350.00 range pleas let me know.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by az.mountain runner View Post
    I too have wanted to hunt pigs in California but on a budget also so if u find anyone in the 350.00 range pleas let me know.
    I thought I saw some in the coastal mountain area (around Paso Robles, etc) that are charging around that per day for unguided hunting.

It's looking like Fort Hunter Liggett and places like that are the only free or even inexpensive places anymore. Everybody has gotten smart and turned it into a "guide" service and charges an arm and a leg, and that's just for the hunt itself. That doesn't include lodging and food, etc.

I can understand the guys who actually go out and guide people on the hunts, they have to cover their time and all, but a lot of these places charge almost the same price to just let you loose on their property.

I'm also kind of torn with some of this stuff and I just feel the need to go on a rant here... Some of these places are guaranteeing a shot at a pig and even charging "trophy fees", one of them bases it on the size of the tusks.

I also saw an article from one guy describing his hunt that just had me both laughing and irritated.

He went on a guided pig hunt, but the guide drove him out, walked him up to a small group of pigs, which they couldn't shoot at because the pigs were across a property line. Then another guide from the place called them and was tracking another group a short distance away, so they get in the truck and drive over to the other area and the guides literally walk them to within shooting distance of the group of pigs. No tracking or anything else, just walk right up, pick your pig and then shoot.

He shoots a pig, they head back and then he says he stood there drinking a beer while he watched the guides clean his pig for him, then he goes on about how he was proud of all the hard work and time he spent in the field for this hunt.

Between the cost of the whole thing and the fish in a barrel concept of it, plus the idea of not even cleaning your own kill, I'm starting to think that, until I can find a free hunt or at least one that just charges a small access fee, I'd rather just spend $20 for a good pile of ribs from the store and put the other $580 towards deer hunting.

I'll shut up now.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Jmsz I can relate to ur frustration, I too wish there was more public land to hunt them now days it costs way more than it is worth, u constantly hear how wild hogs r devastating Texas land owners but I have yet to see one single offer to go hunt them for free ,or like u said a small access fee.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by az.mountain runner View Post
    Jmsz I can relate to ur frustration, I too wish there was more public land to hunt them now days it costs way more than it is worth, u constantly hear how wild hogs r devastating Texas land owners but I have yet to see one single offer to go hunt them for free ,or like u said a small access fee.
    I've hunted pigs (feral hogs)in Texas now for a few years. If you do a little research, you can find some real deals, like less than $500 including rm/bd. But the kicker is that it is pretty far away for a lot of us. I drive 800 miles each way to a friends place to hunt for free, but the fuel to get there is making it pretty expensive. At 20 mpg in my diesel and 4.00/gal, its 320.00 just for fuel.

You can pick a town and look up the Chamber of Commerce. Lots of them have referals for hunting. You can also go to sporting goods/gun shops and start asking around for referals. Also the state G & F. Texas is pretty good about referals. Lots of us call the local Wardens or Biologists for info to help hunting elk, deer, antelope, etc. Do the same in Texas for Hogs.

Just my take fellas............
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley