Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cow elk hunt for my grandpa

He's 85 this year and just had another back surgery this winter. Good thing is it has really helped with his mobility already. He use to only be able to walk 50-75 yards before needing to sit down because of the pain. Well we have talked for years about doing a hunt out west and it just never seemed to pan out. I would like to take him in 2014 Heath permitting of course on a cow elk hunt. Might have to settle for antelope but I know he always had a passion for elk. So what state would one recomend that has left over tags or easy tags for a cow and what unit? With his age I might have to go through a outfitter to get on private land where we might be able to get a little closer. Any suggestions?

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Why a cow hunt? I find hunting for bulls to be easier. You can call them in close, and they're alone. Cows are generally herded up.

It sounds like gramps will be doing just the shooting. Get him a nice bull. Cows are for meat hunters.

edit..I forgot i'm speaking for myself who just takes close shots. I suppose a cow would be easy if you take long shots, but I would still think he'd be more thrilled with a bull.
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 04-20-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just punched in 'cow elk hunt' on google, and several reasonably priced hunts popped up. For $1000-1500 you can get on private land with almost guaranteed tags. Best of luck to you!
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I would also sujest at guided hunt on private land. I think they would be able to acomidate him much better and up the chances of getting a nice bull or cow.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd find a LE unit w/ good rd systems in Colorado. I've found some cow vouchers for $200-500 in some of the Gunnison Basin units that would make for an easy hunt w/ the use of a side-by-side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 7 Posts
    Check the SE corner of Wyoming with Units 7, 16 and 19 being very good. I believe Unit 16 had left over cow tags last year. Tons and tons and tons of elk there. Guided bull hunting is expensive, but I would think there would be good cow hunting. Closer to Michigan. Shorter drive from the Denver airport if you fly.

For Unit 7 check out Waggonhound Land and Livestock:

http://www.wagonhound.com/wagonhound-outfitting

For Unit 16 check out Q Creek Ranch:

http://qcreek.com/elk-hunting/

I've heard these are two of the best in SE Wyoming.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 04-20-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the quick replies. I figured cow would be a easier tag to punch. I'm thinking guide will be best way to get close with limited mobility. And yes he will just be doing the shooting. We will have to drive out as he won't fly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's cool that you are taking him out. I'd also suggest a guided hunt, cow or bull just depends on his preference and $. But if you can get a guided cow hunt for 1500 that's a good deal, especially if there are meals and lodging included.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Start calling some of the recommended guides and see what they have to offer. You might be surprised and be able to get a bull tag cheaper than you think.

I took my Dad on an elk hunt when he was 90, he had some mobility problems too, but we worked them out. He drew a tag in a limited access state hunting area here in SW Colorado that I had done a lot of volunteer work in and knew well. Got his cow and was he happy. It will be very rewarding for you to do this....
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley