Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts

.375 H & H Ruger No 1 anyone shoot this caliber?

We are having a really big 3 day gun show here this weekrnd and i'll be having a table selling lots of misc stuff and a few guns. Besides buying a new ML, I've always wanted a No 1 Ruger and think I might get one in .375 H & H. They also make one in 45-70. Just sayin......
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-24-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    We are having a really bid 3 day gun show here this weekrnd and i'll be having a table selling lots of misc stuff and a few guns. Besides buying a new ML, I've always wanted a No 1 Ruger and think I might get one in .375 H & H. They also make one in 45-70. Just sayin......
    That .375 is like a mini cannon!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    C.C.
    A friend of mine shot the #1 in .375 for years and loved it. I have a Remington 700cdl .375 and have used it for the last 35 years or so and it's still the one "go to gun" that I love the most! They are a dream to reload for. I load from 235 gr. Speers to 300 gr. Swifts and it shoots them all very well. I recently bought some 350gr North Fork bullets but haven't loaded them up yet.
    Me, I'd get the .375....or both!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I has 45-70 in a Sharps that I used to shoot BP long range shoots. I used to shoot it out to 1000 yards, but my eyes got to the point I was really having a hard time with the sights. Lots of fun to shoot.

I've always like the No. 1 and just thought the .375 H & H would be great for moose and elk. Guess i'll start looking around for one.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I has 45-70 in a Sharps that I used to shoot BP long range shoots. I used to shoot it out to 1000 yards, but my eyes got to the point I was really having a hard time with the sights. Lots of fun to shoot.

I've always like the No. 1 and just thought the .375 H & H would be great for moose and elk. Guess i'll start looking around for one.
    Cowboy, I have a Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H. I love it..I don't use it much anymore due to shoulder/arthritis. I used it to take my 2 biggest bull Elk and my one and only Moose. I load 235 & 270 gr. Barnes X bullets for it. It shoots both weights to the same point of aim. I've only recovered 2 bullets, but both were picture perfect mushrooms.

My .375 loves Barnes. It shoots pretty flat with the .235 bullets. The recoil, while obvious...isn't excessive. I may not shoot it much, but I'd never sell it! I have used it on Antelope & Deer...but that is a smidgen of overkill!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    CC,
    I have a Ruger Safari mag in 375 H&H. I bought it to hunt buffalo in Zambia a few years back. My only kills with it have benn a buffalo , hyena and a puku. Its a fun gun to shoot off of shooting sticks and very accurate with both the Barnes 270gr TS and Hornady 270gr spire points. I have a #1 in 257 Roberts that I bought back in 1980. Its been my go to gun for mule deer and antelope. #1 are fun to shoot. Ruger made the #1 in 450/400 an old British cal. Shoots 400gr bullets in the 2200fps range. I almost bought one, but my safari days may be over. They also made them in 450 nito express. Both would be good calibers for elk in the timber, but its hard to beat the 375 for versitility. I may bring it to WY this fall and shoot some doe deer and antelope with it.
    Good luck on finding your #1.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Found a couple on Gun Broker. I am going to Cabelas in Grand Junction next month, I'll look there also. Hoping to get to Texas for Hogs and possibly deer in December and if I do, I'll definately get to Cabelas in Dallas. Was there in 2011 and they had more used guns than I have ever seen in one place. Ruger still shows them on their web site, so might end up with a new one. Not sure yet.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Found a couple on Gun Broker. I am going to Cabelas in Grand Junction next month, I'll look there also. Hoping to get to Texas for Hogs and possibly deer in December and if I do, I'll definately get to Cabelas in Dallas. Was there in 2011 and they had more used guns than I have ever seen in one place. Ruger still shows them on their web site, so might end up with a new one. Not sure yet.
    Cowboy, what are the Ruger #1's in .375 H&H going for these days. do you know?? I know I haven't seen a used .375 H&H bolt action on the gun rack at the LGS in a long-long time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Depends on what optics are mounted on them. Seen them start around $1200 and go up from there. Most seem to be in the $1600 to $2000 range with premium optics. I think they list for about $1695 on Rugers website, if i remember right. there were also several bolt actions on GB, didn't look at their price.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 04-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post: